what format should my USB memory stick be ?

timmy_toad

Hi i have a 2 Humax boxes and a Sony TV all with USB sockets, please can i ask, what Format should a USB memory stick be formatted to, to be able to be read by ALL 3 of my devices, i am thinking i should be able to put AVI videos on the memory stick from my Computer and pay then through the TV plugged into either of my devices.

Thanks if you can advise.

Tim

Not a short answer I'm afraid, as far as the Humax boxes is concerned there are 3 possible formats for a USB Flash drive, each has pros and cons as follows :-
.................... pros ............................................................................ cons
Fat32 reads and writes on P.C. and Humax ...... but ........... file size limit of 4GB
NTFS no 4GB file limit ...................................... but ........... Humax can't write to NTFS
EXT2 no file limit or humax write problem ..... but ............. P.C. can't read or write EXT2 (without en extra program)

Notes :-
Humax formats hard disks as EXT3 but EXT3 is not suitable for flash drives
exFAT is not supported by the Humax
NTFS writing can be added to the Humax with the Custom Firmware Package

So, If the Sony TV can read NTFS and you only want to read on the humax use NTFS

Not a short answer I'm afraid, as far as the Humax boxes is concerned there are 3 possible formats for a USB Flash drive, each has pros and cons as follows :-

OK, thanks a lot friend for your very helpful reply, i have some AVI movies on a FAT32 USB stick, so they should play on my TV via my Humax box(es).

So if it doesn't I suppose the memory stick isnt compatible with my Humax stuff, I dont know about Sony/NTFS yet, i will have to look out the manual !, otherwise i shall have to find another USB stick, I gotta walk the dog now, (honestly !.)

Tim

FIXED:- i have now transferred my efforts to an External USB Hard Drive, i found the memory stick idea didn't work as the capacity was TOO small, LOL.

Tim

Back