What Hard Disks will work

Peter Crowe

Does anyone know of a hard disk model that will work when powered from the USB port.
I am having problems finding a drive that consumes less than 500mA which is the spec for the PVR

Really? I would have thought pretty much ALL drives described as "portable" would meet that spec, certainly USB2 rather than USB3, but even so USB3 portable drives should be around that ballpark.

Things Every... (click) section 12.

Looking at Manufactures specs that is not the case.
I have an 5K1000-1000 which is marked 5V 700mA and the 4000 does not see it at all even though it spins up.
It works fine on 2 laptops and I have tried Fat32 and NTFS format so I can only assume that the power consumption is the problem ?

I have loads of portable drives I use on my HDR-FOXes, including Seagate Backup Plus (SRD00F1) and Samsung (M750U, 0.85A on the label). It could be that your FVP-4000T is within spec, but faulty compared with other examples.

I would have thought pretty much ALL drives described as "portable" would meet that spec, certainly USB2 rather than USB3, but even so USB3 portable drives should be around that ballpark.
Looking at Manufactures specs that is not the case.
I have an 5K1000-1000 which is marked 5V 700mA and the 4000 does not see it at all even though it spins up.
Have you got a link to that drive? All I can find by that model number is an internal drive.
Also 700mA does exceed the USB2 standard for maximum power.

I do use a Seagate portable drive with a USB3 maximum power rating greater than 500mA but its usb2 compatibility means on that particular external HDD model that it only uses less than 500mAwhen connected to a USB2 port, (350mA if I remember correctly for that particular external HDD) .

I have loads of portable drives I use on my HDR-FOXes, including Seagate Backup Plus (SRD00F1) and Samsung (M750U, 0.85A on the label). It could be that your FVP-4000T is within spec, but faulty compared with other examples.
I have Samsung 1tb compact HDD but it could not be seen until I reformatted to NTFS
Other issue is is that if you leave it connected and the box reboots (which it still does) it reboots to the external hard drive and won't record any programs
quite serious bug wasn't killed in the last update and the only cure is not to leave your HDD plugged in

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

On subject I was wondering whether anybody has tried to upgrade the internal hard drive to 2 terabyte Plus?

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

Back