What is a FOX device

Geffers

Folks,

I want to purchase a freesat recorder for my adult daughter. I would like to be able to transfer recorded programs to a media centre but it seems many Humax machines do not allow this.

This custom firmware may be the answer BUT the info page refers to HD Fox T2 or HDR Fox T2, not one of the current Humax models have any reference to Fox.

Can someone enlighten me as to if the custom firmware can be used with current Humax devices.

Geffers

If you want to purchase a Freesat recorder, there is custom firmware available for the discontinued Foxsat HDR, but Not for the current Freesat recorders.
There is also custom firmware available for the discontinued Freeview HD-FOX T2, and HDR-FOX T2 boxes, but Not for the current Freeview boxes.
HDR-FOX T2 boxes are usually available to buy as Grade A refurbished, from HumaxDirect.

If you want to purchase a Freesat recorder, there is custom firmware available for the discontinued Foxsat HDR, but Not for the current Freesat recorders.
There is also custom firmware available for the discontinued Freeview HD-FOX T2, and HDR-FOX T2 boxes, but Not for the current Freeview boxes.
HDR-FOX T2 boxes are usually available to buy as Grade A refurbished, from humax
direct
Thank you for quick reply, what a shame; followed that link and no refurbished freesats available.

Wonder why a manufacturer brings out new products with LESS facilities.

Anyone any ideas is hummy will support the later Humaz? I assume they are still Linux based.

Geffers

Foxsat HDR boxes are still available to purchase online, HERE is one retailer offering them with a 2 year guarantee.

Wonder why a manufacturer brings out new products with LESS facilities.
I think you misunderstand. The custom firmwares for Foxsat-HDR and HD/HDR-FOX are an enthusiast project, nothing to do with Humax. We have added facilities to those machines, Humax have taken nothing away.

Anyone any ideas is hummy will support the later Humaz? I assume they are still Linux based.
Humax have beefed up the security and closed the loop-holes we were able to exploit to customise the respective units.

Note that by "we" I mean the community, and not me in particular.

Anyone any ideas (if) hummy will support the later Huma(x)? I assume they are still Linux based.
It's not impossible, but at the moment it is looking unlikely, you need three things to be come together at the same time, e.g:-
1) Someone with the ability to write the customised code
2) That someone has to have enough time to devote to it (it is very time consuming)
3) The same someone needs to own the new Humax device in question.

Only number 3 can really be helped to happen by other interested parties.

Having said all that it is probably possible for Custom Frimware to be written for some of the other Humax products

At the moment it is impossible, because the cryptographic signature on the firmware update file has to be cloned to inject new code - and this is much more secure on the new units.

Are you aware of anybody that has looked into creating custom firmware for the current Humax Freesat products and failed?

I am aware of the difference between the verification signature on the HDR-FOX (etc) firmware update files and the one example HDR-2000T firmware update file that has been seen in public.

To load a customised firmware file onto the former, Raydon and/or af123 had to reverse-engineer the signature system from examples of the update files. I am not trying to diminish their achievement in any way, but a few educated guesses revealed a reasonably straight-forward and well known signature system that they were then able to replicate for the customised firmware update files. Humax cannot be unaware of this. The signature system for the HDR-2000T appears to be much more secure.

I appreciate the HDR-2000T is not a Freesat system, but we can surmise that the writing is on the wall.

Back