What is in CF 2.23 compared to 2.22?

Owen Smith

I notice the download links are now for CF 2.23. I have 2.22 on my boxes. What is the difference please? I've searched but can't find anything about it.

Thanks. 2.23 doesn't seem to offer anything compelling compared to 2.22, unless you have a broken disc when the newer disc fixing tools might help. Of course when the disc dies, that's precisely the time you don't want to be upgrading firmware. Given my parents drive had a lot of issues it may be worth upgrading.

So what are the improvements in the disc fixing tools? "Latest version" isn't particularly enlightening.

Of course when the disc dies, that's precisely the time you don't want to be upgrading firmware.
Why not? What difference does it make? It takes a couple of minutes and doesn't touch the disk.
(This does not mean I advocate sticking with old versions of firmware.)

I think the OP doesn't realise the CF doesn't reside on the HDD - only the packages are on the HDD.

I think the OP doesn't realise the CF doesn't reside on the HDD - only the packages are on the HDD.

Indeed. I know the packages reside on hard disc, and had assumed the core CF does too. Thanks for the correction, it's useful as I now know updating the core CF is not an issue even with a faulty hard disc.

Does this mean that someone (with different skills to me, I'm afraid) could develop a HDD recovery and repair system on a USB stick?

Less technically minded users and even non-CF users might find it useful.

I would suggest it should be available in return for a small donation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So what are the improvements in the disc fixing tools? "Latest version" isn't particularly enlightening.

The filesystem tools in 2.23 are e2fsprogs 1.42.9 (http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/)
Those in previous releases of the CFW are version 1.41.14.

There are over three years of performance improvements and bug fixes between those versions so the new version gives you a better chance of successfully repairing a filesystem. If you want to see the gory details, you can read the release notes at http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs-release.html

Does this mean that someone (with different skills to me, I'm afraid) could develop a HDD recovery and repair system on a USB stick?

Less technically minded users and even non-CF users might find it useful.
Not really. Without CF there is no way to run code from a USB device. The CF itself is a HDD recovery system, but you have to install it by the standard firmware update process and then interact with it via Telnet. It might be possible to build a version of CF which boots the Humax straight into an "unattended fix disk" process, and it might then be possible to monitor the progress (and even interact with it if necessary) via the front panel display and buttons, but that's as good as it's going to get.

Not really. Without CF there is no way to run code from a USB device. The CF itself is a HDD recovery system, but you have to install it by the standard firmware update process and then interact with it via Telnet. It might be possible to build a version of CF which boots the Humax straight into an "unattended fix disk" process, and it might then be possible to monitor the progress (and even interact with it if necessary) via the front panel display and buttons, but that's as good as it's going to get.

That was almost exactly how I envisioned it working. Plug it in until the display says "done".

I have noticed quite a few people on here manage boxes for elderly relatives, some without internet connection to the Humax. Such a thing would help in that scenario, as well as people not brave enough to install CF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need an internet connection to install the base CF. You have to install the starting point from USB stick and that includes the maintenance menu and disk fixer. So you nearly have what you want anyway, except you need to set up a private network so that you can telnet in to run it.

And whatever you run it has to be installed, so a one shot USB stick would still have to download the code to the HDR Fox T2 as a firmware update. At which point how do you get out of disc fixing mode? Perhaps it could erase itself at the end and restore the box to conventional firmware, but it sounds like a lot of effort for very few users.

My aunt has no internet. I put CF on her box by using a Humax USB wifi adaptor and creating a personal hotspot using my iPad which was connected to 3G. Used my iPad to access the web interface and set up full webif and then install fan and a few other packages.

Surely any of us maintaining a box for an elderly relative has a device that can create a personal hotspot or a private network from a laptop to telnet in? (even if you don't have the mobile broadband as I did).

That was almost exactly how I envisioned it working. Plug it in until the display says "done".
That is understating it a bit:
  • Prepare UPD #1 containing special disk-fix firmware;
  • Prepare UPD #2 containing standard firmware;
  • Plug in UPD1 and boot;
  • Wait for screen/front panel to change from "downloading" to "programming";
  • Remove UPD1;
  • Wait for screen/front panel to change from "programming" to "done" (or whatever);
  • Reboot;
  • Wait for disk-fix to finish;
  • Plug in UPD2 and reboot;
  • Wait for screen/front panel to change from "downloading" to "programming";
  • Remove UPD2;
  • Wait for screen/front panel to change from "programming" to "done" (or whatever);
  • Reboot.
Not what I would call "user friendly"!

I think it would be possible to build a check in to the CF so that if a particular file name was detected on the root directory of a USB device at boot time, the Humax is made to boot into maintenance mode and runs a disk-fix. This would mean that with CF installed the Humax operates normally but can be triggered to run disk maintenance without Ethernet.

Whether an "unattended" disk-fix is worthwhile is another matter.

I think I can hear a broken one, through a bent loudhailer from an old soap box.
Try shouting "The Earth is flat !" through a bent loudhailer from your very own "l will make UPD popular" soapbox. You've got about as much chance of popularising that theory too, regardless of how many times you choose to repeat it.

So what are you going to do about it - keep dragging threads off-topic every time I use a perfectly reasonable acronym? Whose reputation is this damaging most?

Both of you should know better frankly. In the early days of my career we had holy wars about which text editor was better for editing source code. Holy wars gets tiring after a few goes round the loop at several different jobs. Each to his own.

Back