What is the difference between "decryption" & "decryption (direct, slower)"?

Decryption itself, being handled in hardware (if not using software decryption of course), should not be a significant load.

But doesn't decryption rely on copying a file to 'somewhere else' to allow the decryption to take place. Surely the 'copy' adds a processing load?

Yes, there is some data shovelling, but the native DLNA server handles one end of that and *might* use block DMA for it (ie hardware). The workload really is very light. When I conducted some tests, IIRC I had eight HiDef streams running concurrently without glitches.

Further to our earlier query, we have another query re decryption:

We have several external USB drives, all containing encrypted files. They are all recordings of standard definition (not Hi-Def).
We have only recently set all new recordings to automatically decrypt - My Video is now set to Recursive Auto-decrypt - so these earlier recordings stored on the external USB drives are still encrypted.

Our question is: Can we auto-set an entire (external USB) drive to back-/retro-decrypt? This will save us having to set individual files - on each USB drive - to decrypt file by file.

We hhave looked at the webpage re Encrypyted Recordings (in: Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know), but there is no info re this.

We have noticed that in the Media browser in the Webif, there is:

(i) a main checkbox next to an Option+ webbutton. Is it this that we need to select?
If so, then which 1 of the 2 decryption options in that Option+ webbutton - "Enable Auto-decrypt" or "Recursive-Decrypt" - do we need to select?

(ii) a subsidiary checkbox next to each USB drive that is listed under My Music, My Photo, My Video; e.g. "usb-drive1". Should we select the checkbox next to "usb-drive1" and any other external drives we want decrypted, & then select 1 of the 2 decryption options in that Option+ webbutton - "Enable Auto-Decrypt" or "Recursive-Decrypt".

Where did the recordings on USB drives come from and how did they get onto the drives?, if they were copied using +OPT on the remote they will already be decrypted, do they have the 'DEC' icon against them?

2018-09-29_12.27.00.jpg

I agree; if they were copied to USB using the standard user interface (Humax menus) all StDef recordings should have been decrypted in the process - as per Decryption Guide method 5. The only way they won't have been decrypted is if the files were copied by FTP or network file share (and if you did that, did you copy the whole file set comprising the recording, or just the .TS? - if the latter you will need to recreate the .hmt at the very least before the standard decryption processes will work).

There is no means to perform WebIF-mediated decryption from a USB drive as-is, you might be able to make it work if you mount the external drive into the My Video folder using mvdisks, but that is fraught with potential problems. Recordings will decrypt (assuming the .hmt is present) when copied either way using the Humax menus (whether from HDD to USB or vice versa).

Possibly the easiest route now is to use off-line decryption (which does not need a .hmt, you just need to know your decryption key - see the link):

We hhave looked at the webpage re Encrypyted Recordings (in: Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know), but there is no info re this.
That's because nobody should need to do this, unless they've done something silly.

Last edited:
Where did the recordings on USB drives come from and how did they get onto the drives?, if they were copied using +OPT on the remote they will already be decrypted, do they have the 'DEC' icon against them?

View attachment 3692
We are now back from holiday! ,-)

Thanks, Ezra Pound. Great help.
In answer:
  • No, we never use the +OPT button on the remote to move files. We use a computer WebIf instead, as a user can see far more folders/files there, than on the on-TV-screen interface, & the C&P system is far easier. We do very occasionally use the +OPT button & the TV interface to copy files, & regularly use that method to delete files. But we find the on-TV interface of limited use due to the small numbers of folders/files on view.
  • All the recordings were made on 1 of our 2 HDR-FOX T2's. And we know which files were recorded on which Humax, & the related decryption key for that Humax unit. In fact, to simplify things, each external USB drive has files from only 1 of the Humax units, & not the other unit. They are all recordings of SD quality, BTW.
  • Yes we have noticed that using the +OPT button on the remote to move files does auto-decrypt them, so yes that is a handy facility if moving files via that method, but it's still far easier for us to use the on-TV interface to move files. BTW: It would be handy then to have the same auto-decrypt option when moving files via the Webif! So will there be any plans to redesign the Webif in that direction?! ,-)

Last edited:
The only SUI (Standard User Interface - ie the TV menus) mechanism that decrypts is when a StDef recording is copied to (or from) a USB drive, or if a HiDef recording that has had its protection removed is copied. Moving is only possible to another folder on the HDD, and does not decrypt. If that is what you meant, you need to be much more careful with your terminology - neither do we refer to this as auto-decrypt, you have had to perform the operation manually.

It would be handy then to have the same auto-decrypt option when moving files via the Webif! So will there be any plans to redesign the Webif in that direction?! ,-)
No, because the WebIF can't tap into the copy mechanism that does this. There are plenty of ways to decrypt without wanting another: Decryption Guide (click). It's standard practice to simply auto-decrypt everything.

@to max a humax Have you had a look at HFODU2? (see HERE) Your scenario is why I suggested a batch mode in the first place... You would need a lot of free space though as currently it does not overwrite the existing recordings.

You would need a lot of free space though as currently it does not overwrite the existing recordings.
For a reason! I would hate to be responsible for overwriting an existing recording - only to find the decryption failed for some reason that I haven't trapped and you lose the recording. Therefore make sure you have plenty of space when using batch mode.

Back