What on earth is this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 473
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 473

4198JxAsfLL.jpg

The product description doesn't really fit the image:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nedis-Valueline-Micro-Female-Adapter/dp/B00DB2ZDGK/

Here is another. None of my microUSB things look like this.

UMB-MIX.jpg

Where on earth did they come from? I have never ever seen one. Has USB decided to fragment even more? Why do we need two microUSB plugs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, read WP about it. So possibly nothing yet uses it and that is why I have never seen it.

My Samsung S5 phone uses the 'double' micro USB 3 connector as shown in post #1 and so does a USB3 HDD caddy that I have.

That USB 3.0 micro connector is quite common now. I first saw it on a Western Digital portable hard drive I bought about two years ago. If you buy a USB hard drive now it is likely to have one. I have WD, Seagate and Touro drives which all use this connector. These drives still work with the older style leads.

You aught to get out more Mike :=)
My drives are mostly gigabit nas drives. My only USB 3 drives are flash drives and a USB 3 card reader. My phone is a Galaxy S2 which uses the EU standard Micro USB charger. I don't need to get out more, and certainly don't need yet another USB connector.

But you can plug a 'standard' USB2 micro connector into the USB3 socket (one side of it) and it will work at USB2 speeds.

I don't need to get out more, and certainly don't need yet another USB connector.
To have a micro form-factor USB3 connector that is backward compatible with a micro USB2, this double plug arrangement is a necessity. USB3 uses extra conductors, which are accommodated in the full size connector as an extra row of contacts deeper into the plug behind the normal USB2 contacts. You can't go deeper into a micro USB2, so you have to extend sideways - and to make it compatible with USB2 that means a double connector rather than a wider connector.

Only the socket is backwards compatible, not the plug. Bad idea.

If you want to connect a USB3 thingy to a USB2 thingy, use a USB2 cable. Not such a bad idea.

Back