What replacement 1TB HDD?

Hi Wallace

Are you saying HDD's are not covered under the 2year (new)/1year (refurb) warranty?

I backup 'important' files so I can reinstall if there is a HDD problem (both PC and HDR).

IMO, any mechanical drive can fail at any time so always best to backup.

Are you saying HDD's are not covered under the 2year (new)/1year (refurb) warranty?
They are covered. I think the point Wallace is making is that he can see a drive clocking up reallocated sectors and is worried that the drive will have a shorter life than expected. To put an alternative view (and to tempt fate) our Seagate 2TB drive in the Humax has now passed 2000 power on hours with no reallocated sectors or other problems reported by SMART.

... and as if by magic, my Seagate just clocked up another 'pending sector' to deal with. No reallocated sectors yet though.. I must look for a firmware upgrade for it...

Hi Wallace

I backup 'important' files so I can reinstall if there is a HDD problem (both PC and HDR).

IMO, any mechanical drive can fail at any time so always best to backup.

No, I am not saying that.

I just couldn't be bothered with sending the 1TB unit back. It was hard to prove that the disk was failing as I was using the CF to tell me so and would have to remove that before returning. The unit was working OK, but I was uncomfortable with the increasing reallocated sector count and knew it would only get worse. I realise you could say that I 'cut my nose off to spite my face', but it's what I chose to do and I don't regret it.

If you check around, the problems appear to be more widespread on the 1TB model.

I just couldn't be bothered with sending the 1TB unit back. It was hard to prove that the disk was failing as I was using the CF to tell me so and would have to remove that before returning. The unit was working OK, but I was uncomfortable with the increasing reallocated sector count and knew it would only get worse. I realise you could say that I 'cut my nose off to spite my face', but it's what I chose to do and I don't regret it.
Perfectly reasonable.

I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours.

We have already discussed and concluded that an SSD would be pointless or even bad in a PVR.

I thought that was hybrid drives. I should have thought an SSD would be ideal: silent, no spin up/down, no fragmentation issues.

I thought that was hybrid drives. I should have thought an SSD would be ideal: silent, no spin up/down, no fragmentation issues.
OK, so you think the almost continuous write cycles from PVR duty would suit the characteristics of an SSD??

I think an SSD would have to work hard, even with wear levelling. If anybody is going to try running one, I suggest turning off the TSR buffer.

The main problem with SSDs is that the disk itself does not know when a file has been deleted. If the disk thinks a block is in use it will have to read it, erase it and then write new data onto it. The erase takes a relatively long time. Some of the newer operating systems can send a command to the disk to tell it that a particular block is no longer in use but this takes time and so has to happen when the machine is idle. The old OS in the Humax does not support this feature.

Initially an SSD should be fast but if you were to fill the disk and then say delete half of the files, the performance would be reduced. The only way to restore the performance on the Humax would be to perform a security erase, which would wipe out the whole disk.

The main problem with SSDs is that the disk itself does not know when a file has been deleted. If the disk thinks a block is in use it will have to read it, erase it and then write new data onto it. The erase takes a relatively long time. Some of the newer operating systems can send a command to the disk to tell it that a particular block is no longer in use but this takes time and so has to happen when the machine is idle. The old OS in the Humax does not support this feature.

I put a 1Tb SSD in my laptop. The Trim routine in Windoze (it replaces the built-in defrag and is called optimize), which erases old files, takes seconds to run. Samsung provide their own Trim routine that takes minutes rather than seconds. Compare a defrag on a PC, which takes hours.

Why did I spend so much on a 2 year old laptop? Well, it's a Samsung Series 7 with a pretty high spec, and I thought it was better to do this than to buy a new laptop. Startup/shutdown/disk performance generally are improved substantially and it feels like a brand new machine.

Yes but defrag actually moves data about on the hard drive. Trim is not the equivalent of defrag, it just deletes the data on the SSD so that the area of the SSD's memory in question can be written to again. Trim does not defrag, an SSD does not benefit from defrag and is actively discouraged. And Windows 7 and 8 defrag on the fly so there ain't no need to run a defrag program anyway.
I have got an SSD in my lappy: I don't store much data on it. I have also got one in my desktop as the system drive and store my data on a spinny disky thing in the computer or a p[air of spinny disky things in my NAS box.

And Windows 7 and 8 defrag on the fly so there ain't no need to run a defrag program anyway.

You must be joking! Windows 7 and 8 frag the drives on the fly. I could perfectly defrag a spinny disk and look at it later, not having done anything to it, and it was totally fragmented again. Even programs I haven't used for a while were suddenly fragmented again. The inbuilt defrag doesn't show that but something like defraggler does. System Volume Information, the MFT and paging file are permanently fragmented, too.

Yes, I knew about trim and defrag, my point being that trim is very fast, much faster than defrag on a spinny disk is.

Back