What speed Homeplug to use?

Shopps

Hi,

I am after a bit of advice, as you can guess from the title which speed and what make Homeplugs are suitable for use with the Humax HDR-FOX-T2?

I am new to this and looking into 'Homepluging' my home. I want to connect my Hummy into a homeplug, my router into the mains (to network the home) and PC and maybe a printer into a homeplug located elsewhere in the house.

I have read elsewhere that 200Mbps is fine, but if I were to start streaming HD content and utilising everything else, would a 200Mbps cope with this or would I need to look at a 500Mbps unit.

Also, what make is recommended, my router is a Netgear so would a netgear homeplug be best? Devolo seem to be the most expensive whilst Solwise seem very reasonable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

85Mbps HomePlugs work perfectly well for me, and I am using models from Advent, Netricity, and Solwise.

We''ve discussed HomePlug before, but to summarise:

85 is good enough, 200 will take anything you throw at it, 500 is overkill. Bear in mind that the data rate for a single HiDef broadcast stream is 10-12 megabits per second (Mbps), but also bear in mind that you never get the quoted rate (rather like WiFi).

They don't tend to work very well on extension leads, best to plug straight into a wall socket - but that ties up a socket unless the particular HomePlug is fitted with a mains pass-through socket. Having faced the inconvenience I advocate buying the pass-through type even though they are more expensive.

Also very handy are the type that have multiple Ethernet sockets - if you need to connect multiple items at the remote end (eg Humax and an Internet TV) it saves having an Ethernet hub and yet another wall wart. Perhaps you don't need more than one socket now, but if you find you need one later it's another expense.

In theory they all interoperate and throttle down to the lowest common speed. The problem is when you find a mix-and-match system doesn't work - who's unit do you blame? For peace of mind I prefer to stick to one make from one supplier. Devolo is expensive but ticks all the boxes for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I purchased 2 Devolo adaptors (dLAN Devolo 200 AV Plus SE(Special Edition) II Kit Black)) from eBay this week, a bargain at £31! and they work a treat. The home network is now smooth as anything and the Hummy is quicker at streaming content around the house.

Thanks again for the advice.

It was a great price, I fell lucky as they were sold as working condition 'unknown' (returned item) took a gamble and it paid off :). Very good product and would recommend anyone with a Hummy to get them for streaming.

Back