What the HECK???????

mihaid

I opened my portal today to be met with new portal? I thought I've been had by the OTA despite my box having it. Checked firmware and it's still 1.02.32.
It seems that the iplayer is the "new" one. Back takes me to the previous screen.
Anyone else? What just happened?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 43
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 41
Hard to tell from that link. Don't forget there's some 12 apps,mostly crap, in market which I've never seen on my hummy.

The portal has looked like your first picture for a while, irrespective of software version. It is the same on my HD-FOX running 1.02.29 (except for the fact that there is no Teletext Holidays app on the HD-FOX).

That is an older version of i-Player: version 3 (the one you get with 1.03.xx software) is different.

Edit. The version in the link posted by dearleuk is even newer than the one you get with 1.03.xx software: presumably version 4?

Well, until now when I pressed Portal I got a line with original portal etc. pressed 2 for bbc iplayer and got in. I've never seen the portal like that. Was it not a "feature" of the old iplayer that if you pressed back it took you to beginning rather than the previous page like this one does?

That was the Portal Xtra package that you must have installed a long time ago.
The official humax portal is what you are seeing now.

It sounds like you had one of the custom portals installed before. The official portal has undergone a significant redesign, but AFAIK apps have always been accessed using left, right, OK buttons etc. not by using numbers.
It is definitely the older version of iPlayer. Regarding the back button functionality, it could be due to a tweak of the iPlayer software since the introduction of the Humax TV portal, but I am speculating about this.

Edit. I posted a picture of the current iPlayer for comparison. This is actually from a Samsung smart TV (I am not at home at the minute): I don't know if the HDR-FOX equivalent has the 'Try new iPlayer link'.

Attachments

• iPlayerV3.jpg
    iPlayerV3.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
I see. What was the difference between old iplayer and new in respect of back button behaviour?

The second photo posted by Mihaid is of how iPlayer looked up to and including 1.02.xx versions of the Humax software. The one I posted is of the current version, like the one on 1.03.xx versions. They are similar but not identical: the differences become more apparent when in use. To complicate matters, the BBC has been previewing an even newer beta version and the Samsung TV I used to take the photo is one of the devices that has a link to try out this beta version. I've not really tested it yet, but visually it is distinct as the tiles you click on to access programmes are now uniform in size; before there was a mix of large and small tiles. Now there is also a banner across the top to select different channels' programming: before you had to access the channels by entering another menu.

I see. What was the difference between old iplayer and new in respect of back button behaviour?
When you click on a programme tile in either version, you go to another page with a description etc. You can select options (such as HD) and play the programme from this window. While playing, if you then press stop or the program finishes you return to this window. If you then press the back button, in the current version you are returned to the previous menu and can select another programme, in the old version you are dumped back out to the portal.

I know that, but mihaid says he's still on 1.02.32 so as far as I can see should be seeing the same as me. What I see, and what's in his screen shot, is how iPlayer has been for some time, so maybe he's not looked at it in the recent past.

I know that, but mihaid says he's still on 1.02.32 so as far as I can see should be seeing the same as me. What I see, and what's in his screen shot, is how iPlayer has been for some time, so maybe he's not looked at it in the recent past.

Just to clear the confusion. When I saw the portal I thought it was the new one. The waiting rotating triangles I had never seen before, because I was probably on the Xtra. This has led me to believe that the iplayer was new because when I pressed back it did not dump me to beginning of portal but to the previous page which I understood to be a feature of the new iplayer. It turns out I still have the old. But still I'm pleased that back works as I think it should even though I'm still on the old one.

I did not thing the Xtra was the official one. past behaviour which now has gone, don't know why, did this: TV Portal= one line of buttons then pressed humax portal, I think, and got number options of which 2 was iplayer. This behaviour is gone now and press portal takes me to OP picture 1. That's all.

portal-xtra1 replaced the Humax TV Portal home page with a row of text along the bottom of the screen corresponding to the four colour buttons. IIRC TV Portal >> Red >> 1 would have got you to the original home page.

I was disabusing MET.
Disabuse me of what? Make more explicit statements and I might have a hope of understanding what you mean.
mihaid said:
I opened my portal today to be met with new portal? I thought I've been had by the OTA despite my box having it. Checked firmware and it's still 1.02.32.
It seems that the iplayer is the "new" one.
From the pictures he posted, Mihaid's HDR-FOX clearly has the standard official portal and the older version of i-Player: exactly what one would expect for a unit with 1.02.32 software. I pointed out that he must have had a custom portal installed previously (identified as portal extra by Chris Daniels) and I pasted a photo of the later version of i-Player (as standard with 1.03.xx) to show that they are not the same. In separate posts, I tried to explain the differing behaviour of the back button in these two versions, and as the BBC are currently promoting an even newer beta version of i-Player I had a quick look at this and mentioned some of the changes made in this beta version.

Black Hole: I have no idea what mistaken belief I am to be disabused of. I was only trying to be helpful. Perhaps my posts were a little verbose, if so I apologise for this. If you wish to set me straight on something please feel free to do so. I appreciate constructive criticism. At the moment you seem to be tossing ambiguous, passive-aggressive statements in my direction and I am unable to understand their meaning.

Back