What to do with a Cast-Off Sky+HD Box?

Pre-warning the fire service is pointless, they have to be on call whatever happens, would this result in a better / quicker service ?, I don't think so, " Sorry your house burned down mate, you should have pre-booked"

Pre-warning the fire service is pointless, they have to be on call whatever happens, would this result in a better / quicker service ?, I don't think so, " Sorry your house burned down mate, you should have pre-booked"
If the local fire engine is unavailable because it is attending reports of your controlled burn it isn't available for somebody elses house fire. Slower service when really needed.

And if the the local fire engine ignores reports of my controlled burn when it really is out of control I get no service at all in return for my informing them before hand - they still have to turn up to check

I got around to stripping that Sky box: lots of interesting bits, including a 50mm fan, various PCB-mount connectors which might come in handy, 16 miniature push button switches, and a WiFi module with antennas (which a quick google suggests has a USB interface). Looks like ZEN might have acquired WiFi!

The HDD is a 500GB Seagate ST3500312CS. I took a punt and hooked it up to ZEN, and was able to read the Sky stuff (but not actually play anything). The drive now has a 465GB NTFS partition.

The HDD is a 500GB Seagate ST3500312CS....
I wonder which specific drive that is? Is it the same exact model that is usually supplied with the 500GB HDR FOX T2?
Eg which firmware and model number was it, or maybe check the summary information on sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdX to see if it is a sata1 or sata2 drive (it should appear in line SATA Version is: )

Last edited:
I had to install smartmontools, but the result is "SATA 2.6, 1.5Gb/s". I thought somebody said SATA2 was 3Gb/s?

Anyway, reading the stats it's got 40,729 hours on it, with only 63 power cycles (including a couple from me), and no off-line uncorrectables.

Back