What's going on with the Portal?

Tim.C

OK, so I have been on here for a while, but I have searched and can't find anything.

The TV Portal has changed since I last used it, and now it has registration codes, privacy agreements etc.

As suggested by the TV Portal I went to www.myhumax.net. No useful info there, so carried on to sign up and see what I'd find then.

But it refuses to send me the activation email....

Am I going mad? What's going on with the new Portal, and should I care??

The Family >> Manage App. account and the Registration code features have been built-in to make available an extra selection of Apps. for users of Humax produces, however they have not been enabled for the Humax HDR-Fox T2 or Humax HD-Fox T2 so there is no point in trying to create an account. There was an announcement made when the TV potal was first changed to being App. based, that a new version of software would be required for these two products before they could use these extra Apps., but to date the software has not been released. You can see an 'App. Market' link on the Portal Test site HERE, which I guess is what will be enabled when the new Software arrives
BTW
The extra Apps. that will be made available after registration, may well be the same ones that are already available by installing the Custom Firmware and installing the Custom TV portal

Hi,
I have been using the latest Custom Portal, which is great, especially the Custom TV portal, just wondered if anyone knows how to input text into the Google page?

Thanks for any help.

I think work on the custom portal has ceased.
I've not heard anything for a long time now.

Ps. You should be able to enter text using either a USB keyboard or I remember talk of a Bluetooth remote+keyboard a while ago that worked. It's not really worth it though due to the under powered CPU in the T2 which causes the web pages to render slowly.
Also, there is no cursor or mouse support.. Which is an issue.. Lol

I, too, have just noticed that the format of the Humax TV Portal has changed to an App-based format, which IMO is a retrograde step. I was looking for the ITV Player but couldn't find it. It was whilst looking for the ITV Player App I realised I could sign-up to a Humax account to give me personalised access to Humax services. I thought, apparently mistakenly, that I could download the ITV Player to my HDR-FOX T2, but if this is possible, I haven't found out how to do it.

I thought that by signing-up to a Humax account I would be given access to more services but it would appear I was wrong and I am stuck, at least for the time being, with a reduced set of services, most of which don't appeal to me.

Has Humax put the cart before the horse and changed the portal format without the services being available?

The format changed ages ago, but I don't understand what you mean by "reduced" - the same services are there as have always been (apart from ditching things that didn't work). No, there is currently no point in signing up (not for HD/HDR-FOX owners anyway). Whether they will ever provide anything useful for HD/HDR-FOX is a moot point - HD-FOX is already discontinued, HDR-2000T is on its way to supercede HDR-FOX (presumably with greater capability).

Regarding ITV Player (and the like), the HDR-FOX supports MP4 streams and then the world went HTML5, and then YouView came along and cornered the market for catch-up TV. The provider has to specifically co-operate with Humax and provide access to content in the format required, and only the BBC has. You will notice that smart TVs etc also only generally offer BBC iPlayer. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that YouView have an exclusive contract.

You will notice that smart TVs etc also only generally offer BBC iPlayer. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that YouView have an exclusive contract.
Many Samsung smart TV's, and Sony Playstation3 units, offer BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, and Demand 5.

The format changed ages ago, but I don't understand what you mean by "reduced" - the same services are there as have always been (apart from ditching things that didn't work). No, there is currently no point in signing up (not for HD/HDR-FOX owners anyway). Whether they will ever provide anything useful for HD/HDR-FOX is a moot point - HD-FOX is already discontinued, HDR-2000T is on its way to supercede HDR-FOX (presumably with greater capability).

Regarding ITV Player (and the like), the HDR-FOX supports MP4 streams and then the world went HTML5, and then YouView came along and cornered the market for catch-up TV. The provider has to specifically co-operate with Humax and provide access to content in the format required, and only the BBC has. You will notice that smart TVs etc also only generally offer BBC iPlayer. I don't know for sure, but it is possible that YouView have an exclusive contract.

Hi BH

By 'reduced' I mean I used to be able to 'catchup' on missed programmes on ITV (for example) but now that no longer seems possible.

Regards

Phil

...nor 4OD, Demand 5, Sky Player (except via the customised portal, now non-functional). BBC iPlayer only was introduced in a firmware update around the beginning of 2011.

Yes, I know some do... maybe they were in place before YouView came along?

I think you are being a bit kind to Humax there. I think they just don't have the inclination to add itv player or 4oD to the fox t2 portal. I would be surprised if future Humax boxes do not have this feature

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know for sure how much is in the hands of the content providers and how much blame can be laid at Humax. If the content providers refuse to make streams available that can be accommodated by the HD/HDR-FOX hardware, there is nothing Humax could do to make them available without different hardware.

I have followed for a while the saga for implementing 4od and 5od on the "new"freesat humax box. It was supposed to have all 4 channel players but when launched it only had two, with the promise that in last autumn they'll have the rest. Suffices to say that Humax only delivered it perhaps a month ago.

@Black Hole: My Humax HDR-T2 box shipped with BBC iPlayer and Demand 5, but now only has BBC iPlayer and some other rubbish that is pointless.

Back