What's gone wrong?

rtausig

Since having to do a retune on Friday the signal strength for BBC1 and 2 has dropped to 10% and I'm getting serious pixillation. All other channels are fine with about 70%. Next door tv is fine also. I've tried retuning several times but to no improvement. Very strange. At the end of the retune I get a box saying overlapping regions but only London is shown which is correct cos that's where I am. Any suggestions anyone?

If you have channels in the 800's then the Humax has found duplicates and you may be watching channels with weaker signals. I suggest you remove the duplicates as detailed HERE

Thanks for that! seems BBC1 is strong on channel 800 + BBC2 on 801. What's MUX and how do I find it? Sorry but all I use the box for is tv + record/replay with a non HD tv. This stuff is a mystery to me! Why suddenly should the box be allocating the beeb to 800 numbers - hasn't done it before. Maybe if I do another auto retune in a couple of days it'll
sort itself out? Ever hopeful! However, making progress and many thanks.

All other channels are fine with about 70%.

Really? What about BBC THREE, BBC FOUR, and BBC NEWS for example?

If they are also suffering you have probably been given an out-of-area transmitter for that particular multiplex, and as Ezra says you need to do a manual tune (not leave it to the auto process) to ensure you are receiving the correct multiplexes. Alternative instructions HERE (click).

If the problem really is confined to BBC ONE and BBC TWO only, that's weird.

You're right. BBC3 is 803, BBC4 is 804, but BBC NEWS is still on 80 where it was before. I'll give it all a go tomorrow.

An auto re-tune won't fix your problem, The Humax is finding the BBC channels from two different places and putting the ones you want in the 800s. select BBC1 (800) on the Humax then press OK followed by info. on the Remote control, your TV should display a 'channel information' box make a note of the channel number displayed because that is the channel you need for the Manual Tune. You will continue to have problems while you have channels in the 800s. Note to receive all channels you will need 6 'channel numbers' in your manual tune not just the BBC1 'channel number'

You're right. BBC3 is 803, BBC4 is 804, but BBC NEWS is still on 80 where it was before. I'll give it all a go tomorrow.
Yes, NEWS will be on 80, but I'm talking about the versions of THREE and FOUR that are in their normal places - they should all be showing the same signal degradation that you reported for ONE and TWO.

Switching on today the weak signal on the Beeb channels was so poor that 'no signal' was detected. Thought this was a good opportunity to try an auto tune and hoped the box would bypass the weak signals. It did and locked on to the stronger signal from Crystal Palace. Seems over the weekend it found a Finchley transmitter which I didn't even knew existed. So sorted and many thanks for the contributions :)

I keep getting a situation where the box is fine for a while- then it starts pixellating. Once this starts, it's pretty well established until I hard-reboot (i.e. power-cycle the box).
Does this suggest a hardware fault? Should I ask Amazon for a replacement (it's only a couple of weeks old)?

Back