What's gone wrong ?

Jeffox

My HDR Fox T2 has started acting weird.

Today i was watching a film and decided to pause while i answered the phone, but noticed it wouldn't pause. It refused and just kept playing the film in real time.

Tried a couple of times and nothing happened, again. I gave up and decided to see if a timed recording was fubarred as well. I set the recording time for something that was starting about 10 mins later, waited till there was about 5 mins of recording done, and tried to play that file and it wouldnt play. It was in the media list, and the amount of recording time was listed ( about 5 mins ) but it just would not play

I then went to my previous recordings in my media list, where there are just 2 files. 1 film, and 1 nature program. Respectively, they are about 2 hours and 1 hour long. These have been in my list for a few weeks, and always played fine. Now , one of the thumbnails is blank ( black box ) and the other one still has the thumbnail, but neither will now play.

Next i tried a USB stick that has some music and photos on and that worked fine

This looks a little bit terminal. Anyone have any tips ? Thanks, Pete

Last edited:
Put in into standby, wait for the disk to stop spinning and then turn off the power. Turn it on again after 10 seconds and see if it is now working properly. I would guess it has lost track of its encryption keys which is a problem I see once or twice a year.

I will give that a go when i can Martin, thanks. I cannot try this right now because i thought someone might post " format your hard drive " so i decided to move those 2 recordings i mentioned above, onto a USB drive and they're still copying. Do they copy in real time ? I.E. a 2 hour film will take 2 hours to copy onto USB drive ?
Seems to be taking a long time otherwise

I got tired of waiting for the file copying - both files together totalled about 3.5 hours. The copying was still going 5 hours later, so it seemed to me it wasn't happening

So did what you said, and the recorded files ( which never copied across ) are playing again. One thumbnail is still blank, but it does play.

And i have pause live TV back again. Don't know why the file copying never worked, but i find this PVR to be buggy as hell

Cheers !

Don't know why the file copying never worked, but i find this PVR to be buggy as hell
The same problem that was preventing you from playing the files

Rebooting really does fix a lot of computer related problems

You could probably copy them correctly and fairly quickly now

Good point MM - i never thought of trying the file copying again. Will have another stab tomorrow ! Cheers

I cannot try this right now because i thought someone might post " format your hard drive "
If you don't have the Custom Firmware installed then that is about your only option, after turn-it-off-and-on-again.
If you do then it would be a good idea to run the fix-disk process. I suspect your disk and/or filesystems might need some attention.

It says it has CF on boot, but since i didn't install that, i have no idea what it does or how to use it.

I'll try and drag those 2 files off agin and hope it works this time. Then the HD can be formatted. I can then try fix-disc. I don't know what that is either, but if it's in the menu system, then i'll give it a go after the HD format

No!

fix-disk Is a disk clean-up that does not require formatting (and therefore does not affect existing recordings, unlike a reformat which would wipe them). It is built into the custom firmware, but requires knowledge.

If you did not install CF but it is there, I guess your unit must be second hand and the previous owner installed CF but stupidly didn't remove it before selling on. Unreliability may have been the reason for selling on!

If the problem you wrote about in post 1 was the loss of encryption key, disk problems are not to blame. However, I am doubtful - the symptom is that previous recordings are present but unplayable. This looks much more like a disk problem, and you need to start thinking about fitting a new disk. However, in the mean time:

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

It says it has CF on boot, but since i didn't install that,
If it doesn't say "CustFW 3.13" on the display when you switch it on then the first thing you need to do is update it. How long have you had the box?
i have no idea what it does or how to use it
Well you managed to find this forum, so you could do a bit more reading and find out what/how. The "Things Every Owner should know" link in BH's sig. or the "Wiki" link at the top of every forum page are good places to start.

Yes Black H - was a 2nd hand unit. The previous recordings now play, after Martin posted how. I've probably had the box for 3 years or more. I'll check that link you posted. Thanks

PRPR
I will check the CustFW number when i boot it back up next time . I need to find how to update, if it needs it. I'm recording 6 hours of the BTCC right now , but i can go and read Things Every Owner Should Know - cheers

I guess mine is a lot older than the 3 years i've owned it, since it was used at time of purchase. So i'll be reading those links and educating myself on updates and other maintenence

No BH. Those old recordings had been watched but i kept them and they were in the media list. Then prior to coming here, they wouldnt play, ( amongst other problem as you have read ) and one of the 2 files thumbnails went blank.
After Martin give me the quick fix, they played fine again, but the thumbnail file on the one that went missing didn't come back. Still plays though.

The box is fine again, timer recordings working, and pause live also working. But i will be reading those links

Back