Whats the current recomended replacement Hard drive

WYNIR0

Hi all, I'm running custom firmware which is reporting smart errors on my drive. Clearly it's time to consider a replacement before too long.

Rather than replace the box I'd like to replace the 500Mb drive with a 1TB.

Looking at the guides I can find they all seem to be fairly old and the suggested drives are all EOL. Can anyone advise what the concensus is on the best replacement? Is a Western Digital Purple 1Tb the way to go?

Do I need to get up to any jiggery pokery to get a 1tb working or is it plug and play? I work in IT so I'm not afraid of setting partitions etc if needed but TBH with a 1 year old tearing the place apart the simplest option is the most attractive.

Thanks!

Thanks, though given our usage of the box over the past 4 years and the £25 price difference I'll probably go for the 1tb version. It's rarely over 50% full. Much appreciated.

I work in IT so I'm not afraid of setting partitions etc if needed but TBH with a 1 year old tearing the place apart the simplest option is the most attractive.
Get the kid to do it and you put your feet up! Never too young to learn and they pick things up very quickly apparently.

The answer is in the first line of the first post.

(I know - I also admit to periods of inattention!)

I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.
I must pay attention.

If the existing one is rarely over half full, then why bother (go to the expense) at all?
If the answer is "Because I can.", than go for the 2TB.
I once gave some disk usage stats to Humax (random 1000 devices registered with RS) and the answer was that pretty much everyone keeps their disk about 50% full, regardless of the size of the installed disk.

I once gave some disk usage stats to Humax (random 1000 devices registered with RS) and the answer was that pretty much everyone keeps their disk about 50% full, regardless of the size of the installed disk.
Gave???

Which is tantamount to the same thing.
True, but posting anonymised data on public forums is the specific example included in the RS privacy policy so I thought it worth clarifying.
I was second guessing what Black Hole meant by the multiple question marks!!!

Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.' - Eric (Terry Pratchett)
No idea if he ever said anything about question marks.

Incredulity? (possibly because 1. You had a channel 2. They were interested 3. You volunteered information for nothing)

Humax !=== myhumax.org

Ah, I see. The marketeers will deduce that it doesn't matter what size disk we stuff in it, the users will only half fill it so we might as well put a titchy one in. It'll be big enough. Or is a small disk offset by the "You can record hundreds of hours of TV." ploy?

Back