Why does it change stations to ITV2+1 when recording?

Doppa

I don't know if this is just me but I have series record for Xtra Factor on ITV2+1 and for the past 3 weeks I've noticed that the Fox actually changes stations to record it. I always leave it on BBC 1 and yet it changes to ITV2+1 by itself.

We are in the process of digital changeover (Tyne Tees region) so do you think it could have anything to do with that?

The Humax only has two tuners, if the Humax is recording on one tuner and you are watching TV on another tuner, then a second recording may take priority over what you are watching and switch to the second recorded channel. A thrid channel can sometimes be watched if the two recordings are on the same MUX or the third channel is on a recording MUX

The Humax only has two tuners, if the Humax is recording on one tuner and you are watching TV on another tuner, then a second recording will may take priority over what you are watching and switch to the second recorded channel. A thrid channel can sometimes be watched if the two recordings are on the same MUX or the third channel is on a recording MUX

I've never had my old Hummy 9200 actually change channel before and I've only noticed the Fox doing this in the last three weeks. I've only had the Fox since June and it was a Humax Direct recon so I hope it's not a sign it's got problems.

If you post what channel you were recording, what channel the new recording was being made from and what you were watching at the time then you may get a more detailed response. In the meantime tune to any HD channel of your choice and press the record button, choose a 2nd HD channel and again press record. Tune to a SD channel after about a 40 seconds press pause. If this works nothings wrong. In this situation you are recording 3 at the same time (not bad for only 2 tuners :))

If you post what channel you were recording, what channel the new recording was being made from and what you were watching at the time then you may get a more detailed response. In the meantime tune to any HD channel of your choice and press the record button, choose a 2nd HD channel and again press record. Tune to a SD channel after about a 40 seconds press pause. If this works nothings wrong. In this situation you are recording 3 at the same time (not bad for only 2 tuners :))

The Fox was on BBC 1 as always and the recording schedule was:

Casualty 21.09 - 21.59 BBC 1
Jonathan Ross 22.28 - 23.34 ITV 1
Xtra Factor 22.40 - 23.39 ITV2 +1

I'm recording Dragon's Den at the moment so I can't do the test you suggested for another half hour so I'll try it then, thanks.

The Fox was on BBC 1 as always and the recording schedule was:

Casualty 21.09 - 21.59 BBC 1
Jonathan Ross 22.28 - 23.34 ITV 1
Xtra Factor 22.40 - 23.39 ITV +1

I'm recording Dragon's Den at the moment so I can't do the test you suggested for another half hour so I'll try it then, thanks.
In your recording schedule above, all three channels are on different mux's, so the fact that it changed to ITV2 +1 is no surprise, as the box can only receive channels from two mux's at any one time.

In your recording schedule above, all three channels are on different mux's, so the fact that it changed to ITV2 +1 is no surprise, as the box can only receive channels from two mux's at any one time.

Just corrected a mistake. It should have read Xtra Factor on ITV2 +1.

In the meantime tune to any HD channel of your choice and press the record button, choose a 2nd HD channel and again press record. Tune to a SD channel after about a 40 seconds press pause. If this works nothings wrong. In this situation you are recording 3 at the same time (not bad for only 2 tuners :))

Yes this worked fine.

I must admit, I still can't see why it needs to jump to ITV2+1 to record it though. I've never seen that happen before. I wasn't actually watching BBC 1 when it jumped to ITV 2+1 but if I had been it would have spoilt the programme I was watching and I would have missed a bit.

The Humax only has two tuners so if both are needed for recordings then the possibilities, if the live TV is coming from another multiplex, are to display a blank screen or show something from one or other of the multiplexes being recorded.

I must admit, I still can't see why it needs to jump to ITV2+1 to record it though.

Let me try to explain. In place of the old system with five analogue TV services (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4, Five) occupying one whole broadcast channel each, the digital terrestrial TV system broadcasts digital data on up to six channels, with the data on each individual channel able to carry 4 HiDef services or about a dozen StDef services, as well as a number of audio services and data services (teletext etc). We call each of these broadcast channels (carrying a specific set of services) a "multiplex" or "mux".

The HDR-FOX is equipped with two tuners, which means it can receive the data for up to two multiplexes at a time. If you are recording one service, then obviously that takes up one tuner and the second tuner is free to view any service from any multiplex as a live feed. If you are recording two services simultaneously from the same multiplex, again that only takes up one tuner and the second tuner is free to display any other service. If however the two recordings are from different multiplexes, that requires two tuners and the live feed can then only come from one of the other services on the current two multiplexes. The distribution of services across the multiplexes is listed HERE (click).

If the HDR-FOX is about to start a recording and the two tuners are currently committed on another recording and the live feed, and the new recording requires a different multiplex, the new recording takes priority over live viewing and flashes up a message that it needs to change channel. If you choose to opt out the recording gets cancelled, but if you do not respond the channel gets changed (and you may lose the start of the recording in the period of grace). The HDR-FOX can only record two programmes simultaneously and view a third (as long as only two tuners are required), although it is possible to make a recording of the third channel by waiting for one of the existing recordings to finish, then wind back to the start of the live programme in the timeshift buffer and press record.

The HD-FOX only has one tuner, and can only record one service (when equipped with an external hard drive) and view another from the same multiplex.

I've never seen that happen before.

Then you've been lucky.

I wasn't actually watching BBC 1 when it jumped to ITV 2+1 but if I had been it would have spoilt the programme I was watching and I would have missed a bit.

You presumably have the HDR-FOX for the primary function of recording programmes to watch later. You know it is going to go off and "do its thing", so if you want to view live TV at the same time without interruption you should use the TV's antenna input instead of the HDMI feed from the Humax.

I've never had my old Hummy 9200 actually change channel before and I've only noticed the Fox doing this in the last three weeks.
The 9200T doesn't change channel, instead it shows a blank screen with the message "This channel is restricted by recording" when two recordings are in progress on different muxes and trying to view a third.

This is odd. I posted this thank you yesterday but it doesn't seem to have appeared on the thread so I'll do it again.

Thanks Martin and Black Hole. That makes it a lot clearer. I get it now! Xyz321, yes I remember that now. That's why I thought the Fox was faulty because after many years with the 9200T I was just assuming the Fox would work in the same way.

This is something I've been wondering about too, also having come from the 9200, I figured it was most likely caused by the different multiplex thing but also was confused by it changing channel.

One thing I prefer on the 9200 is the way it greys out unavailable channels in the epg when you gave 2 channels recording, and the the T2 doesn't seem to, or if it does it is not very clear!

The HDR-FOX T2 channel list does "grey out" the unavailable channels when you are recording from 2 muxes. The channel list is accessed by pressing either the "LIST" or "OK" buttons on the remote control.

The HDR-FOX T2 channel list does "grey out" the unavailable channels when you are recording from 2 muxes.
Also if you use the channel change button on the Humax remote ("P") it will skip over any channels that are not available due to recording restrictions.

Also if you use the channel change button on the Humax remote ("P") it will skip over any channels that are not available due to recording restrictions.
I never knew about that feature, you learn something new every day.:)

The HDR-FOX T2 channel list does "grey out" the unavailable channels when you are recording from 2 muxes. The channel list is accessed by pressing either the "LIST" or "OK" buttons on the remote control.

Ah, I never use the channel list, I always go to the epg which doesn't grey out unavailable channels, I shall have to check that out!

I'll also have to check out the change channel button, as that's another I never use...I shall have to see where they are mapped to on my Harmony

Back