WiFi connection down

GDW

A few weeks ago I purchased a wireless dongle for my HDR-Fox T2 & set up the WiFi connection with no problems.

Everything worked absolutely fine for several weeks, until 1 day the error message "Cannot connect to network. Please check your internet or network setting." came up when I pressed the TV Portal button on the remote (which had always worked fine before).

I checked the settings, which hadn't changed from when it was working. I then checked the wireless dongle in my laptop & it was working just fine, including right next to my Humax box. I have tried both the front & the back USB ports on my box, turning off the box using the power button on the back & even a factory reset, all to no avail. If I try & set up the WiFi connection again from scratch on the box it doesn't detect any of the available networks despite doing so when I first set it up & if I plug it into my laptop.

I'm running the latest version of the custom firmware.

Any help very gratefully received - thanks.

I haven't done anything

It's possible that someone else in the house may have - would rebooting the router make a difference?

It doesn't seem very likely if the dongle works to get your PC on line, just clutching at straws really. Some people have had problems with the Humax and WiFi that have never (as far as I know) been resolved.

Yeah I can't work it out - it doesn't seem to make much sense given it was all working fine & then just stopped working & as far as I can tell nothing changed, but the dongle works absolutely fine with my laptop

If the Humax offers the chance to set up the wifi, then it is recognising the presence of the dongle.
If it then doesn't detect any network (let alone connecting to them), you have a real problem.
Suggestions in other threads would need the customised software installed, so you could telnet to the Humax.
If you've tried a complete turning off (using the switch on the back), I don't have any ideas as yet.

Thanks Derek

I have the latest version of the customised software installed, but have never connected by telnet to my Humax so not sure what I need to do or how to do it

With the custom firmware, you could try the wireless-helper package. I had not mentioned it because this is the non-modified section. Regarding Telnet, there are good instructions on the Wiki HERE (click), but I am not clear what could be done to help your situation.

As an alternative to wireless, have you seen power line? It lets you plug ethernet into the power socket. This video is a good comparison of wireless versus power line versus ethernet...

With the custom firmware, you could try the wireless-helper package.

Thanks Black Hole

I see there's a Wireless Tools package available as well - is it worth installing that as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but can I install these packages using a USB stick or do I need my Humax box to be connected to the internet?

Thanks once again for your help

Internet is easiest, but the stand-alone packages (which perform a single function and require no additional configuration) can be added without by downloading the relevant bundle (see the Wiki HERE - click). When the custom firmware detects a bundle on an inserted UPD it will add the contents to the installed packages.

That said there is no guarantee wireless-helper will improve anything. I don't know what wireless-tools does, I guess it (and wpa-supplicant) is required for wireless-helper and part of the bundle (bundles contain the main package and its dependencies).

It's unfortunate that most of the diagnostics need a connection to the Humax box.
One of the things suggested to me was forcing the wifi up - but this may well have no effect in your case, as no networks are being detected.
Another offering allowed checking of the saved parameters for the wireless working - when I had problems with entering a long passphrase because of timeouts, this allowed me to check that the version was correct and concentrate of getting the connection establised. Again, there would seem to be no gain for you in this as no networks are detected (so I won't bother to hunt it down).
One thing I did was to install a wireless access point, acting as a repeater, directly connected to the Humax - this helped me establish channels and possible local interference.
In your case it may be best to try the ethernet over powerline as a workaround.
Lacking further detail, I think that your device is faulty and that a replacement is the way to go.

In my opinion, a wired connection is the gold standard and HomePlug the next preferred.

As an alternative to a USB dongle, the TP-LINK WR702N (click) is a cheap device which can connect to a WiFi network and provide a wired cinnection to the Ethernet port (it is powered from the USB socket, but does not require any configuration on the Humax, which sees it as a wired connection to a localised router). The 702 can also be configured as a wireless access point, providing a separate WiFi network to access your Humax without it being connected to the wider world.

With the custom firmware, you could try the wireless-helper package.

Black Hole

I have tried to load the wireless helper package via USB, but it appears not to have loaded - see log below

Preparing package wireless-helper_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
Preparing package wireless-tools_29_mipsel.opk
Preparing package wpa-supplicant_0.6.10_mipsel.opk
Starting installation...
Installing wireless-helper (1.0.0) to root...
Installing wireless-tools (29) to root...
Installing wpa-supplicant (0.6.10) to root...
wget: bad address 'hummypkg.org.uk'
Installing jim-pack (0.71) to root...
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/jim-pack_0.71_mipsel.opk.
Package wireless-tools (29) installed in root is up to date.
Package wpa-supplicant (0.6.10) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring wireless-tools.
Configuring wpa-supplicant.
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/jim-pack_0.71_mipsel.opk, wget returned 1.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download jim-pack. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wireless-helper.
Finished installation...

Any thoughts?

When did you try to perform the installation?, the hummypkg.org.uk website was unobtainable for quite a few hours Yesterday (18May2013) so if you was trying it Yesterday, I would suggest trying it again now that the server is back up. In fact it's worth trying again anyway as the problem is that your Humax can't contact the hummypkg server for some reason

It looks like you don't have network connectivity. You could try pinging the target host...

Code:
humax# ping hummypkg.org.uk
PING hummypkg.org.uk (89.248.55.76): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=0 ttl=243 time=27.548 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=1 ttl=243 time=28.520 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=2 ttl=243 time=28.535 ms

--- hummypkg.org.uk ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 27.548/28.201/28.535 ms

Is your wireless up or ethernet plugged into the network and configured with an IP address...

Code:
humax# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr DC:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:172.16.11.100  Bcast:172.16.11.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST DYNAMIC  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:30244 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12762 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:4927509 (4.6 Mb)  TX bytes:1922818 (1.8 Mb)
          Interrupt:16

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:22 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:22 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1939 (1.8 Kb)  TX bytes:1939 (1.8 Kb)

Thanks for your replies - I tried about 30 mins ago

The whole problem is that I have lost my wireless connection (see my OP in this thread) - it was working fine with no problems for a few weeks & just then suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. Black Hole suggested loading the wireless helper package, which I understood I could do off a USB with no need for a internet connection, but it appears that an internet connection is needed after all...is this correct?

Yeah you'll need a network connection to get the software on. Is it possible to use wired ethernet temporarily to get the software on and then diagnose the wireless?

Black Hole suggested loading the wireless helper package, which I understood I could do off a USB with no need for a internet connection, but it appears that an internet connection is needed after all...is this correct?
It is possible to download ALL packages and then install them Via USB. If you download the Bundle version of Wireless Helper then all packages should be present without having internet access on your Humax

Thanks very much Ezra - bundle successfully installed. Unfortunately however, it hasn't made any difference - the wireless dongle still can't see any networks.

Back