WiFi connectivity.

HHGTTG

Hi. I have asked a similar question, although not exactly the same. What I would like to know is whether the Humax 5000 is still 'connected' to my BT router, or rather keeping it on 'full power' when the former is in standby mode.
I ask this as I usually only turn on my WiFi on my tablets, phones and TV etc when I want to use that facility thus enabling my BT router to go into low power mode (after 5 mins). So the question is would standby mode of the 5000t allow it to do this?

Switch it to low power standby. That should switch off WiFi to meet the EU standby requirement of <1/2 watt.
Can you not check on your router to confirm 'Connected devices' (or similar)?
Just how much saving is actually made by the router going into 'low power' mode? Is it really worth the effort? Can't find any figures on t'internet.
Have you opted out of BT Phon as this is a public access WiFi which will possibly also keep it on?(Cheeky)

Switch it to low power standby. That should switch off WiFi to meet the EU standby requirement of <1/2 watt.
Can you not check on your router to confirm 'Connected devices' (or similar)?
Just how much saving is actually made by the router going into 'low power' mode? Is it really worth the effort? Can't find any figures on t'internet.
Have you opted out of BT Phon as this is a public access WiFi which will possibly also keep it on?(Cheeky)
Surely low power standby stops Aerial Rf pass through? I haven't bought this kit yet but yes I would be able to check my router's stats. No idea re BT phon but can assure you that the three blue lights on my hub go dim after all WiFi components switched off indicating its own 'standby' mode in a way.

Surely low power standby stops Aerial Rf pass through?
If you have reasonable signal strength then you could avoid problem this by putting a splitter into the aerial feed to the Humax and feeding the TV directly rather than via the Humax.

Surely low power standby stops Aerial Rf pass through?
Yes, but you can't have it both ways.:frantic:

Unless you use a splitter.:D
No idea re BT phon but can assure you that the three blue lights on my hub go dim after all WiFi components switched off indicating its own 'standby' mode in a way.
But can you still see your 'BT Phon' WiFi signal. Could be that it switches off your home WiFi but not the Public services. I know at one time you had to get on to BT to get it switched off on your router.
As I asked before, does it make any appreciable difference to energy usage? i.e. Is it worth bothering about?

Yes, but you can't have it both ways.:frantic:

Unless you use a splitter.:D
But can you still see your 'BT Phon' WiFi signal. Could be that it switches off your home WiFi but not the Public services. I know at one time you had to get on to BT to get it switched off on your router.
As I asked before, does it make any appreciable difference to energy usage? i.e. Is it worth bothering about?
I can see a BT WiFi-with-Fon in my list on nearby WiFi nodes but didn't realise it was mine!
I am not worried about my electricity bill just the longevity of my BT Hub.

That's the least of your worries! If it breaks, BT replace it (but I ditched mine in favour of a router that does what I want instead of what they decide it's going to do).
You're probably very capable and don't have anxiety issues but would you mind telling me whose router did you buy that would work OK.

I'm using a Netgear N600 - not the best, but at least it gives me access to ALL the config and doesn't broadcast a public access hotspot when I can only get 3mbps tops!

You are are probably OK with your BT router - until you come up against its limitations, they don't affect you. I certainly wouldn't worry whether it is going into standby or not as a result of your 5000T WiFi being on (which I can't imagine it is when the 5000T is in standby, low power or not).

Your public hotspot isn't a problem either, if you have enough bandwidth to spare. Use of it doesn't count towards your data cap, and it is the quid-pro-quo for being able to use other peoples BT Fon for free while out and about.

My advice: stop worrying.

I'm using a Netgear N600 - not the best, but at least it gives me access to ALL the config and doesn't broadcast a public access hotspot when I can only get 3mbps tops!

You are are probably OK with your BT router - until you come up against its limitations, they don't affect you. I certainly wouldn't worry whether it is going into standby or not as a result of your 5000T WiFi being on (which I can't imagine it is when the 5000T is in standby, low power or not).

Your public hotspot isn't a problem either, if you have enough bandwidth to spare. Use of it doesn't count towards your data cap, and it is the quid-pro-quo for being able to use other peoples BT Fon for free while out and about.

My advice: stop worrying.

Thanks for that information. My speed as measured by usual sources is between 16 an 17 Mbps download so no problems there and I have no data cap. Does anyone nowadays on home BB?

Yes, me for example. Fibre to street hasn't reached me yet, and it's easy for those in well-connected areas to forget the rest of us!

Does anyone nowadays on home BB?
Yes - unlimited is usually a bit extra a month, so those on a budget / lowish use will often go that way.

As BH says, the router failing is probably BT's problem, so don't worry about that. And even if it's 'yours' whether it's in low power or not is unlikely to have much, if any, effect on its life. Once electronics have got past the early mortality stage (probably a few weeks for a router) they are generally good for many years.

I certainly wouldn't worry whether it is going into standby or not as a result of your 5000T WiFi being on (which I can't imagine it is when the 5000T is in standby, low power or not).
I thought (but could well be wrong as I don't own one) that the FVP-5000T maintained network connectivity in standby so I would have guessed the WiFi will be on.

Back