Wifi Dongle possible solution? help needed.

bobbillbar

Hi, all recently purchased a HDR Fox t2 and wishing to connect wirelessly, it would not connect, but was recognised by the box. (using the Edimax 7711).

have read the posts on this subject and tried various solutions, nothing helped. found on the internet a reference to the 3070 chip used in this adapter and how the same problem had been solved. The linux programmers at the Rasberry Pi site by adapting the source code with a small patch.

as the hummy uses linux, could the same be done?

can't post a link to their solution.

but a google will find it
Ralink rt2870/3070 Raspberry Pi/Linux FIX!!!!

keep up the good work.

The wireless driver that is included in the Humax firmware is the rt3070 driver so it should work with your chipset. The link you've posted is about adapting the driver to support additional devices.

With my working dongle, I can see this information when logged in via the custom firmware. If you have custom firmware installed, what does yours show?

Code:
humax# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

Code:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=7392 ProdID=7711 Rev= 1.01
S:  Manufacturer=Ralink
S:  Product=802.11 n WLAN
S:  SerialNumber=1.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=450mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2870
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

It would be possible to add support for different chipsets via the custom firmware.

The wireless driver that is included in the Humax firmware is the rt3070 driver so it should work with your chipset. The link you've posted is about adapting the 2800 driver to also support the 3070.

With my working dongle, I can see this information when logged in via the custom firmware. If you have custom firmware installed, what does yours show?

Code:
humax# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

Code:
P:  Vendor=7392 ProdID=7711 Rev= 1.01

It would be possible to add support for different chipsets via the custom firmware.

I have installed the custom firmware, but will need to connect my router to it with a very long lead to tell you what it says.

Will try tomorrow when the wife is at work and get back to you.

Hi, all recently purchased a HDR Fox t2 and wishing to connect wirelessly, it would not connect, but was recognised by the box. (using the Edimax 7711).
it seems to me the most likely causes of your problems are:
  • Hidden SSID on your WiFi network;
  • Using a WiFi channel that conflicts with neighbouring WiFi networks, or is not accessible to the Humax;
  • A WiFi dead zone where the Humax is (potentially worsened by the Humax itself).
How far do you get through the registration? Does the process find your network but then not connect to it, or not find it at all? If it finds your network, do you get stuck entering the encryption password?

it seems to me the most likely causes of your problems are:
  • Hidden SSID on your WiFi network;
  • Using a WiFi channel that conflicts with neighbouring WiFi networks, or is not accessible to the Humax;
  • A WiFi dead zone where the Humax is (potentially worsened by the Humax itself).
How far do you get through the registration? Does the process find your network but then not connect to it, or not find it at all? If it finds your network, do you get stuck entering the encryption password?

It doesn't find ant networks even though it recognises the dongle, I have simplfied my SSID and Password but it'sill won't connect, works fine in windows 7 pc.

It is only a few feet away in another room. latest firmware installed on the Hummy.

It would be interesting to see what differences there are between the old and new Edimax ew-7711uan. I'm sure there must have been some changes: numerous people have had this problem, me included: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/softw...11uan-wireless-adaptor.3793/page-2#post-45797
The new version of the dongle ships with an updated driver and I have subsequently found that this newer type dongle could not detect networks on a Win 7 laptop with the old driver, but it could when the new driver was installed.

I have installed the custom firmware, but will need to connect my router to it with a very long lead to tell you what it says.

Will try tomorrow when the wife is at work and get back to you.
I suspect that it is just that the driver doesn't recognise the vendor/device ID pair. It's simple enough to add new devices to the driver once we know what those values are.

It would be interesting to see what differences there are between the old and new Edimax ew-7711uan. I'm sure there must have been some changes: numerous people have had this problem, me included: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/softw...11uan-wireless-adaptor.3793/page-2#post-45797
The new version of the dongle ships with an updated driver and I have subsequently found that this newer type dongle could not detect networks on a Win 7 laptop with the old driver, but it could when the new driver was installed.
If you plug it into a Humax with custom firmware and look at that usb devices file, it should be possible to tell what's changed.

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. When it did not work on the Hummy or my laptop, I sent it back. Later, after reading a couple of the threads here, I borrowed one briefly to do a little testing. Jasperoni or someone may still have one.

I'll buy one. It should be possible to write an update that will make it work...

Well, I bought another Edimax 7711UAN (from Amazon) and it works fine with my Humax. When plugged in it reports identically to the older one I have too. So much for working out what the difference is!

The one that arrived today has a 'support Windows 7' icon on the front and says 'MADE IN CHINA (V1.0D)' on the back of the box. I don't still have the box from the older one to compare.

If anyone with a non-working one wants to swap, I'd be happy to.

The original 'dodgy' Edimax dongle I obtained was bought through Amazon but from another seller, who sells for a few pence less. The box was the same as the old one, still claiming to be V1.0D, but had an extra sticker indicating Win 8 support. Inside was a new colour installation guide and updated software disk. I am happy to order again in the hope of getting another 'dodgy' one and am willing to run the diagnostic and test any software patches you produce. In case it is any help, I am attaching a zip containing the old and new versions of the unpacked drivers (obtained from a 32-bit Win 7 machine). The 'dodgy' dongle could not detect any networks with the old driver, but worked with the new one installed. The new driver is almost twice as large as the old one.

Attachments

• Edimax Drivers.zip
    884.6 KB · Views: 5
Received an EdimaxEW-7711UAn. Recognized by the hummy but could not detect the wifi network.
Not running custom firmware, so was unable to apply the solutions shown in this thread.
Also tried the dongle in an XP computer with no succes until I downloaded the latest drivers from MediaTek.

After reading that a similar chipset could work I bought a Manhattan ICI-524438 Intellinet Wireless 150N Adapter fom Amazon for £10.
I plugged it in this morning with immediate success! Network shown and connected - problem solved.
BTW the dongle comes complete with a 1 metre USB extension cable, to allow you to search for maximum signal.

Just bought a cheap dongle from ebay that was advertised as RT3070 chipset - "works with media boxes". It was only £6 so worth a gamble. The box recognises it so the WIFI menu is shown but no combination of Network /password (even simplified) seems to work. Output from the humax# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices command is as follows.

Code:
P:  Vendor=148f ProdID=3070 Rev= 1.01

Found the problem with the £6 dongle - it wasn't the dongle in fact, it was my Netgear Router. The HDR Fox T2 couldn't see any networks configured on it. I tried setting up the network with an old Apple Airport Extreme and the dongle found the network immediately. Configured OK, however reported speed is 36kbps and HD playback stutters badly. (You get what you pay for?!)

So I tried another solution - using a Huawei WS322 Wi-Fi Repeater with LAN Connection. (£25 on Amazon.co.uk). Works like a dream - easy to set up, configures as a wired network on the Humax and good solid connection. Definitely recommended (It also acts as a repeater if you want to boost the WIFI signal).

Both of those look like handy devices, with my preference for the TP-Link because it isn't plugged directly into a mains socket.
I have an Edimax device (EW-7228APn), which is more expensive, but a lot more versatile (5 ethernet ports, can be used as bridge, AP, router ...)

Back