WiFi Dongle - which work?

David Wood

Hello does anyone know of any WiFi dongle that works ok with the HDR-FOX T2 with the Wireless Helper software installed?

I used one of those from the list, but found I got problems at times with maintaining the link (don't now remember details) so switched to a direct ethernet connection to an Edimax 7228 range extender which links to one of my access points.
HTH

Hello does anyone know of any WiFi dongle that works ok with the HDR-FOX T2 with the Wireless Helper software installed?
As noted above, you need a dongle built around a chip set for which the HDR-FOX's firmware has the appropriate driver included, ie the RT-3070. As usual, after 10 years, the world of IT has moved on and the newer (cheap) WiFi dongles are built around chip sets which are easily available now (ie not RT-3070), and which are not compatible with the HDR-FOX firmware.

The wireless-helper package has nothing to do with it - what that does is boot the WiFi connection when the HDR-FOX is half-awake (normally only when fully awake), so that WiFi communications can be established to the WebIF or via RS when the box is in a record-from-standby phase (Ethernet works in half-awake as standard). Even with wireless-helper installed, you are still reliant on having a dongle that is compatible with the driver.

The risk is that you might (from a market place such as eBay) purchase a dongle which claims to be RT-3070, but actually isn't... and you can't prove that without breaking it apart, and even then the chip identification might have been erased. Why? Because inscrutable and unscrupulous foreign sources perceive a demand for RT-3070, can't get RT-3070, so knock something up they can sell to people looking for RT-3070 and will never get any come-back from. Those are the realities of clicking "buy" on an item shipped at almost no cost from a practically anonymous seller in Hong Kong or China (et al) - you do so at your own risk in the knowledge that if it works, great, and if it doesn't: c'est la vie (but you've rewarded a swindler).

It's no good buying a Humax dongle either: those available now are only compatible with the newer STBs (which have newer drivers). If you can find a retailer offering a dongle guaranteed to be compatible with HDR-FOX T2, and if you are sure you will be able to get your money back if it doesn't work, it might be worth a punt... but it won't be cheap.

There are alternatives to gambling on whether a dongle will be compatible: see here (click).

I used one of those from the list, but found I got problems at times with maintaining the link (don't now remember details)
I suspect that is a local rather than a systematic problem - poor signal perhaps.

Last edited:
I have the dongle from Ebay detailed in my link above, if they supply you with the same item they supplied me, it will work on the Humax HDR-Fox T2 and will cost you £5

And if it doesn't and you tell them they will probably just refund you without having to send it back.

I have the dongle from Ebay detailed in my link above, if they supply you with the same item they supplied me, it will work on the Humax HDR-Fox T2 and will cost you £5
How long ago was that? It's on for £3.96 now.

AFAIK the relevant chip set has not been in production for a considerable time, so where are they coming from?

And if it doesn't and you tell them they will probably just refund you without having to send it back.
They might, but it may well work as a WiFi dongle under other circumstances, and how do you prove it's not a "Ralink RT3070" dongle as described? If it is, and it works, that's all well and good. If it doesn't, even if you get your money back it's wasted time.

Which is not to say it can't work out, just that I think you need a Plan B. Good luck.

Last edited:
/df : It has a bright blue LED
Yes it is a bit annoying in a dark room, black electrical tape to the rescue

There were some early reports that the humax wifi link would not use channels 1-4, but they seem to have gone away I think

Last edited:
Back