Wifi encryption problem

Johnboy

I just connected a humax wifi Dongle to my hb1000s and it is immediately recognised. When I enter my 20 digit wpa2 code, the box appears to only accept a maximum of 16 digits. Anyone else experienced the same issue?

If it's anything like the HDR-FOX you don't get time to enter a long string before it times out, and some characters are not available at all.

I don't think it's a timing problem, because I'm always prevented from adding figures after I reach 16. What I find strange is that I am not asked which type of encryption I want to use.... is one of the less secure forms of encryption limited to 16 digits perhaps?

Even WEP has a 64-bit key with 10 hexadecimal digits or a 128-bit WEP key with 26 hexadecimal digits

I just connected a humax wifi Dongle to my hb1000s and it is immediately recognised. When I enter my 20 digit wpa2 code, the box appears to only accept a maximum of 16 digits. Anyone else experienced the same issue?

I have a USB Humax WiFi dongle that I failed to get to work on a Fox T2. It works perfectly on my laptop. Maybe you have highlighted the problem. I don't get the chance to type all of the key before it tells me it can't connect. (24 character key.)

Since the dongle has a WPS button I thought I'd try connecting by that method (my router accepts both WPS-PBC and WPS-PIN), but to no avail... has anyone actually managed to make a wireless connection with the HB-1000S?

You either need a dongle with the correct chipset for what should work is a Wi-Fi access point.
From the PVR's point of view a Wi-Fi access point is a hard wired connection.

Can you set up a second virtual network on your router, such as a guest network with a shorter encryption key to test it? If so, are you trying to connect to your network for just IPTV reasons or do you want to access other stuff on your network, as guest networks are usually set up for internet access only (but usually can have full access, but setup that way have limited value)? Can you not temporarily try a shorter key to see if it connects, or have you already tried that?

The problem seems to be that the HB1000S does not accept encrypted Wifi connections. I created a guest network with a shorter (8 character) encryption key as suggested but was unable to connect whatever encryption method I tried. However, an unencrypted Wifi connection did work without problem, but that is not an option here with so many neighbours within range!

Try unencrypted but restrict allowed connections by mac address. That should stop connections from neighbours but also mean you don't need to encrypt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try unencrypted but restrict allowed connections by mac address. That should stop connections from neighbours but also mean you don't need to encrypt.
Ooo err. Do you not bother locking your doors but instead rely on a post-it label that says "do not come in" stuck on it?
Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about, so to anyone else reading this, just ignore this dangerous "advice".

Appreciate it is possible to spoof a MAC address but the vast majority of people would not know how to do this nor would there be much incentive if it had a VLAN which only gave Internet access and access to the PVR.

Unless the neighbours are really untrustworthy my view is this is sufficient to stop inadvertent access.

I'm not recommending this as a general method of security just for this specific case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might take spoofing to get you into a MAC-protected network, but leaving the network unencrypted opens it to eaves dropping.

The problem seems to be that the HB1000S does not accept encrypted Wifi connections.
Is it actually the 1000S or is it the dongle. Surely it's the dongle that does the encryption/de-encryption and presents the decrypted data to the 1000S?

If I plug the dongle into a computer, I have no problem choosing an encryption key; this issue only applies with the 1000S.

If I plug the dongle into a computer, I have no problem choosing an encryption key; this issue only applies with the 1000S.

Exactly the situation I described in post #5 with a Humax dongle and an HDR Fox T2. No trouble with a PC, no connection with the T2.

It all sounds very familiar! Nice little earner for Humax, a dongle around twice the price of a lot of the competition and no chance of a wireless connection either....

Back