WiFi Unable to Connect

royboy

Hi there not too sure if Im in the right place.
I need some help as just this morning having press tv portal, I have a flag saying "unable to connect to network" check settings.
When I went into WiFi settings I get flag saying LAN unpluged?
All connections are good as far as I can see. Any ideas. It has been working perfectly up till this morning.
Regards,
Royboy.

I think, presuming you have not disturbed anything since it was working, you just need to be patient - there are occasional spasms. On the other hand, is there any chance it has updated firmware overnight? How is the rest of your WiFi network behaving?

Reapply the wifi settings and confirm it says connected at the end.
Then retry.
Hi Chris, just seen you message. Yes I have reapplied the settings and confirmed. Still puzzled. Do you think it might be the dongle not recieving the signal from my netgear box. You can see by my jargon that I'm not too par-fay with this sort of technology.
Regards royboy.

Reapply the wifi settings and confirm it says connected at the end.
Then retry.
Hi Chris
Just to bring you up to speed. flag saying network disconnected, LAN unpluged.
When I go into LAN settings it reads:- Configure IP DHCP
IP address 192.0.2.100
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway address 0.0.0.0
DNS address 192.168.1.1

Regards
Royboy

Agree about the Gateway; also the DNS being on a different network segment to the IP address of the Humax looks odd. Roybot, what sort of router do you have? Have you changed the configuration recently? Have you tried power cycling the router?

Agreed, DHCP should give you good settings, so it's probably the router sending bum info. Try power-cycling the router (then reboot the Humax).

Hi Chris
Just to bring you up to speed. flag saying network disconnected, LAN unpluged.
When I go into LAN settings it reads:- Configure IP DHCP
IP address 192.0.2.100
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway address 0.0.0.0
DNS address 192.168.1.1

Regards
Royboy

Those network settings won't get you connectivity to the Internet - you've no valid gateway, nor can you reach your DNS server.
If those settings have been given out by the Netgear's DHCP server, then it's misconfigured.

The IP address is in one of the blocks from RFC5737: "IPv4 Address Blocks Reserved for Documentation", so that's weird too.

Agree about the Gateway; also the DNS being on a different network segment to the IP address of the Humax looks odd. Roybot, what sort of router do you have? Have you changed the configuration recently? Have you tried power cycling the router?
Hi the router is a netgear WGR614v9 I've not altered anything with the router except today I tried using port 3 instead of port 1 but still the same.
My blackberry phone looses wifi when I'm in the same room as the humax?
I'm using a edimax EW-7711USn dongle with an 802.11b/g/n high gain USB adapter.
When I tried putting the DNS address in the gateway addresss again network disconnected. LAN unpluged?
Could the router be weak for what ever reason and not sending a strong enough signal to the dongle thus my phone does not also pick it up?
Regards Royboy

Those network settings won't get you connectivity to the Internet - you've no valid gateway, nor can you reach your DNS server.
If those settings have been given out by the Netgear's DHCP server, then it's misconfigured.

The IP address is in one of the blocks from RFC5737: "IPv4 Address Blocks Reserved for Documentation", so that's weird too.
Hi there,
I'm afraid a lot of this stuff is going over my head.
I was a panel beater by trade. (for my sins)
Regards, Royboy.

"Turn it off and turn it on again" LOL!

Hi, now if you'd have said that I would have known what to do, as the last time I power cycled it was to Southend on Sea and back when the king was still alive LOL.
Yes I've done that as well to no avail.
Regards Royboy.

I would look at the back of the router, there will probably be a tiny pin hole labelled as "reset". If you press this in for a second or two it will reset any settings that might have been changed accidentally, taking it back to how it was when it came out the factory.
This will also reset any security & passwords that you may have setup, so beware!

I would look at the back of the router, there will probably be a tiny pin hole labelled as "reset". If you press this in for a second or two it will reset any settings that might have been changed accidentally, taking it back to how it was when it came out the factory.
This will also reset any security & passwords that you may have setup, so beware!

Chris I've reset the router so many times that I've lost count. Because I reset it I presumed the user name and password (as you warned) would go back to factory settings. This did not help as the Humax found the old one (my chosen one). When I put in the new one (factory one) it still could not connect. However I changed ports and pressed so many buttons and bells that for one very short period I had a wifi connection but the BBCi player flaged up that it could not connect to server?
So I have now ripped out this router and intend to completely start afresh tomorrow as if I've just bought it ( I will remove any programs that relate to it first) But I'm not holding my breath...............does anyone know of a decent reliable router? Incidentally I can get iplayer perfect on my PC so it don't seem to be my Virgin modem.
Regards,
Royboy.

If you've reset the router, it shouldnt be hanging on to the old username/password.. that implies that its not reset..
I would dig out the manual - or find one online.

If you've reset the router, it shouldnt be hanging on to the old username/password.. that implies that its not reset..
I would dig out the manual - or find one online.

Hi Chris,
If I turn on the router with out the connection cables will it reset if I press the button for say 5 seconds?
Then reconnect from scratch.
Regards
Royboy

If I remember correctly, a factory reset on my hub requires the reset button to be pressed for 30 seconds, followed by 60 seconds power-off. A few seconds might not be enough.

If I remember correctly, a factory reset on my hub requires the reset button to be pressed for 30 seconds, followed by 60 seconds power-off. A few seconds might not be enough.

Cheers, I'll try and download some intructions from the web before I start.
Regards,
Royboy

Back