Will formatting the internal HDD destroy the custom firmware?

Vanguard

Re: HDR-FOX T2

I have 2 external USB HDDs - 1.5TB and 2TB - and copied everything from the internal 1TB HDD.

If I now format the Humax HDD will it destroy the custom firmware?

Many thanks

Yes and no. The custom firmware will remain intact (which is in Flash), but the packages will be wiped and you will get the installation page next time you access the Humax IP address with a browser.

If you really have saved everything you could just copy it back, but I suspect you mean all the recordings.

By the way, this is the HD-FOX section of the forum and you are talking about the HDR-FOX, but really it should be in the Custom Firmware section (now moved).

Thanks BH ...

Although I've copied everything I've not deleted anything yet.

I note there are folders created as part of installing custom firmware.

*edit (contains 3 folders)

_original

I was going to copy these back following the format otherwise I would simply delete all 'recordings' and leave these folders as they are.

_original, as it's name suggests, is a folder the CF generates when modifying a recording e.g. when cropping it, so that the the new, shortened version can occupy the same folder and name as the original. The CF files on the hard disk reside in the /mod folders

I was going to copy these back following the format otherwise I would simply delete all 'recordings' and leave these folders as they are.
Why do you want to format the disk in the first place? If you are going to format, then there's no point deleting anything as it will all get lost anyway.

prpr

I wish to format the HDD following recording/deleting both large and small files since buying the Humax 2 years ago. There doesn't appear to be a defrag facility.

I was only considering deleting files (recordings only) if formatting would destroy the custom firmware. But as the CF is held in Flash and its associated folders can be copied back from the ext USB HDD I will format the HDD without deleting anything.

If you format the disc you will probably have to download the full Web-If interface again and reinstall your packages: a few packages that have to be available at boot are stored in flash but most are saved on the disc.

I managed to clone a HDR disc in the past but whenever I have tried to copy the contents of the 'mod' folder it has always failed to copy all of the files, regardless of how I have done it. I think that this is something to do with file permissions. I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to reinstall rather than try and copy the files over. You may find that you ultimately have reinstall the packages.

The 'fixdisk' routine that can be run from maintenance mode using Telnet will fix most disc problems and I think it assesses file fragmentation. I am not sure if it will do defragmentation though. Fixdisk can take a long time if it finds lots of errors though.

I wish to format the HDD following recording/deleting both large and small files since buying the Humax 2 years ago.
How do you know you have a problem with fragmentation? Have you got a problem with something or not?
I was only considering deleting files (recordings only) if formatting would destroy the custom firmware.
Formatting will destroy the WebIf and all installed packages and force you to reinstall it all.
But as the CF is held in Flash and its associated folders can be copied back from the ext USB HDD I will format the HDD without deleting anything.
I wouldn't. If you really want to 'defrag' the media partition, then backup your recordings to external, delete them from the internal disk and then copy them back. This is good enough.

There doesn't appear to be a defrag facility.
As I understand I there is no need to defrag an Ext3 file system. Only reformat if you are having specific problems, and then only if the CF Telnet disk maintenance options have failed to resolve the issue (in which case the disk probably needs replacing anyway). As prpr says, if you back up your recordings, delete them from the internal disk, and then put them back, that will have the desired effect - but it isn't necessary.

I was only considering deleting files (recordings only) if formatting would destroy the custom firmware. But as the CF is held in Flash and its associated folders can be copied back from the ext USB HDD I will format the HDD without deleting anything.
If you used the remote to copy "everything" to USB, you will not have copied the /mod folder (containing the custom packages), only the content under the /media folder. The internal disk has three volumes on it for various purposes, only part of one of which is used for storing recordings. The SUI only shows you a very limited view of it; the WebIF media browser shows you the whole structure (if you click the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page) but only media files within it; to see the whole thing you need Telnet or FTP (with the standard FTP server turned off and the betaftp package installed, because the standard FTP again only shows you the /media folder).

If the /mod folder is missing when you access the IP address from a browser, the CF defaults back to installation mode and you will have to work out what selection of packages you need all over again.

As I understand I there is no need to defrag an Ext3 file system.
That's generally correct. The output of the fix-disk process will show how much fragmentation there is at the end of the run and it's usually very low, as you'd expect for EXT3.

Everyone above, THANKS for sharing your valued knowledge, all very much appreciated. This forum is brilliant thanks entirely to the dedicated contributors who respond to queries promptly.

I will not format my Humax HDD but simply delete recordings that have been copied to external drives allowing for expansion. There are no performance issues other than a delay before displaying the media contents, probably due to the large number of files stored.

I have no experience with Linux filing systems (Ext3) and thought formatting might be beneficial for protecting the HDD but once again, thanks to your knowledge, I have learnt something.

Back