Will I cause problems if I power down during fix-disk?

Mick

Hi all - as above - I very occasionally get picture breakup on recordings so I suspect that I may be getting HDD errors. I realise that fix-disk takes a long time to run; if I decide it's taking too long and need to use the machine, is there a 'nice' way to stop it?
If not, will a power down/up cause issues? And would this be the same for the other disk checking options in maintenance mode?

Many thanks for any help

Mick

For reference (as I'm sure fix-dik is no longer running), I would not power down the Humax while running fix-disk. You could kill the the process from a new Telnet session (not the window running fix-disk) after discovering the process ID e.g.

Code:
 ps -C fix-disk

PID TTY          TIME CMD
1038 ?        00:02:59 fix-disk

kill -9 1038

Thanks for that, Ezra. I haven't run it yet but a friend who also has the 1TB model started fix-disk on his one evening and it still had a fair way to go when he went to work the next morning, so I wanted to find a neat way to stop it if it became necessary to do so.

Thanks again

Mick

You should avoid interrupting the process at all as it may be in the process of modifying data on the disk and you could cause worse corruption. Ezra's command will stop the fix-disk wrapper but not the things that it has started in the background.

Thanks af. I'd already decided to run it without interfering with it. Just need to find the right time...

Mick

I assume fix disk will still be running in the background in standby mode? Is there any problem with that?

I assume fix disk will still be running in the background in standby mode? Is there any problem with that?
The majority of the unit is powered down in standby mode, including the main processor and the hard disk, so fix-disk won't run while in standby. There is a half awake state that fix-disk could run in, notes HERE

It runs in maintenance mode so the point is moot. Leave it running, powering off runs a risk of corrupting things further.

The majority of the unit is powered down in standby mode, including the main processor and the hard disk, so fix-disk won't run while in standby. There is a half awake state that fix-disk could run in, notes HERE

Ah, right. But that sounds wrong to me. I would have assumed that if some such operation were running then the Hummy would stay in the half awake mode until it was finished, then enter standby. What happens if you set some large files to delete and then put it into standby? Is the delete aborted or does the filesystem get corrupted?
What do you mean "standby mode"?
RTFM

I take your point but, the main humaxtv program is not going to allow for Custom Firmware processes to end nicely before going into standby, so the CFW would have to hold off the 'go to standby' somehow until it had completed. As far as fix-disk is concerned, you have to start up the Humax in the CFW Maintenance mode first, this is a special start up mode that doesn't allow the humavtv process to run as far as I know, so the unit would remain in this 'half-awake' state until rebooted by the user

Well, I just kicked off the long test and it's estimated that it will take 218 minutes so that's fine with me. No need for interruptions as it should be done by morning, power cuts notwithstanding!

Mick

The test ran and found no errors, so would this possibly mean my handful of glitches were down to issues during broadcast?

Mick

Would breakup of picture not be more symptomatic of signal problems?

Not an expert but I would be looking at signal strength and possible retune?

The test ran and found no errors, so would this possibly mean my handful of glitches were down to issues during broadcast?
Possibly. If you describe the 'glitches' in more detail, it will be easier to suggest likely causes.

Also, something simple to do: double double check the aerial connections are seated properly and firmly.

Connections are ok, and the breakup was on a programme recorded on the beeb shortly before Christmas; I've definitely done a retune since then so if that was indeed the issue I'll probably never know.
Basically, the picture froze for a moment, with it being broken up somewhat as well. It happened three times during an hour long programme, and apart from that I've never had a problem.

Mick

Couple of questions:
- when playing back a recording with glitches, are the glitches always in exactly the same place if you restart it. This will help determine if it is something to do with what's on the disk or a fault when playing only.
- do glitches appear on live viewings. Point being if you only see the glitches on recordings and not on live it is unlikely to be the aerial.

EDIT: If you are saying that the problem has not reoccurred since the pre Christmas recording then I suggest the fault was temporary, probably a connection problem at the time.
In that case ignore my questions and I suggest you delay pursuing the problem until it re occurs.

Quite possibly the cause. I've now deleted the file but did double check before doing so that the problem occurred at the same point each time so the recording was 'damaged', for want of a better word.

Mick

Back