Windows does not read External HDD, Hummy does but how to save files?

abraham

My external backup HDD, a Seagate 2TB has slowly failed on my pc. I cannot get to the bottom of this but I know the HDD is working because when I plug it into my Humax (Fox HDR) it can see all the partititions, folders and even play video files (though every step takes time). In the back of Hummy is a 1TB powered HDD and I have an unpowered 'my passport' to hand. The Hummy is on the network but only some files are visible and not any on HDDs.

What I want to do is to use the Humax to transfer as many files (mp3s, docs, allsorts) as possible from failing HDD to save them but is this possible (it has to be!) and what would be the best method?

The Hummy is on the network but only some files are visible and not any on HDDs.
You don't say by what means some of the files are 'visible', I would FTP into your Humax from a PC and transfer files onto the PC's hard disk, external HDDs will be shown as drive1 etc.

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
I can see the files by: media>storage>usb>
I have FTP turned on, on the Humax and installed fillezilla on pc now but 'wizard' won't complete successfully, stuggling with ip I think

Black Hole, it has 4 partitions, two appeared to lose files and asked to be formatted then the other two as well, the HDD is seen as installed but as empty. Any recovery software can't find RAW files or anything, just thought to plug into Hummy to see what was visible - everything! Tried fresh install of Windows 7, still showing HDD as needing format etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20150413_111446.jpg
    IMG_20150413_111446.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 9
I think I have FileZilla set up right but it timed out my connection?Capture.PNG Capture 2.PNG I can't get the images in the guide to show unfortunately to check I've done it right?

Got it to work through FTP Commander, using IP from Humax, ending 37 not 35. It has transferred over a copy of 'office'. So we've demonstrated that a HDD that cannot be read or saved by Windows can be read by a Humax and data transferred off to a PC. I think that is quite a find to be honest. No idea why Windows won't read HDD though...

Thanks for the help Black Hole and Ezra.
Buying a Humax DTR-T2100 this week so probably be back!

Possibly to start a blog on why an HDR-FOX T2 owner would want to buy a YouView box?
What is wrong with that? I have recently purchased a Humax DTR-2110 YouView box to supplement my 5 HDR-FOX T2's.

It's just to go in 'the other room', not a replacement for the Fox, it will be replacing a 9150. They are only £90 ish on Ebay.

It's just to go in 'the other room', not a replacement for the Fox, it will be replacing a 9150. They are only £90 ish on Ebay.
I bought an unused DTR-T2100 few weeks ago but not for as much as £90. I saw the price and got carried away as I was curious if the PVR side was really that bad in actual use as a main or sole recorder.
I was also sort of hoping that the Audio Description would work - but the Audio Description volume level for the HD channels is way too low. You can increase the volume of the Audio Description separately by delving into the menus so that it's almost OK on HD channels but then it's booming on SD channels.

Edit: Added missing D and '.

Last edited:
Back