Windows Explorer no longer sees the HDR fox T2 since upgrade to 1.03 firmware

Brian Davison

I used to see the hummy on my home network, under network, go in and copy files to my laptop to watch away from home or edit for clips. After upgrade to the latest firmware I can't see it any more in windows. I can access the webif fine, but don't know how to get a file from that onto the laptop.

Why can't explorer see the hummy any more? (file share and telnet are both ON in webif)

I used to see the hummy on my home network, under network, go in and copy files to my laptop to watch away from home or edit for clips. After upgrade to the latest firmware I can't see it any more in windows... Why can't explorer see the hummy any more? (file share and telnet are both ON in webif)
Network file sharing relies on neither DLNA content sharing nor FTP nor Telnet. You need a Windows-compatible network file server installed, ie the samba package. Has your update to 1.03.xx wiped out the custom firmware?

That does not explain why he can't see the hummy on his network though. Are they both in the same Workgroup?

Not sure about Samba - if I had it I think it was built in to the old webif - It was a few years back when I started with customized firmware but I don' recall installing a special package - might have done though.

Does windows 7 care about workgroups?
I used to use a workgroup called 211 (our house number) & I have one 1 xp laptop in that workgroup - it does not see the hummy in explorer & my newer win 7 laptop appears to be in the standard "workgroup" and that does not see it either - both used to.
I also have a homegroup in the win 7 laptop, but I don't know how homegroup or workgroup would be set on the hummy?

Not at home right this minute, but the laptop is, so will try the download from the webif using team viewer and see hos it goes. (I hadn't noticed that command before - only extract as mp3, whihc I could not see the point of - I just used to copy the ts file, then rename it mpg and it worked fine.

"Download" worked, so problem solved - I'll use that in future. There was always and oddity with explorer - sometimes hummy would appear in explorer as a file resource (good), other times as a media resource (not good unless I only wanted to play it - it ws basically stuck in windows media player) - this looks more reliable.

W7 will find other devices in different workgroups (Not Homegroups), but I have frond things easier and quicker if every device is in the same workgroup. The original idea of workgroups was, I believe, so that you could have several different workgroups on a network without them 'interfering' with each other. I think the W7 Homegroups are designed to effectively simulate the same thing to make sharing easier. Perhaps having the Hummy and your computer(s) in different workgroups was causing your earlier problem. My W7 computers explorer always see the Hummy as a bog standard file source just the same as any other storage device that is shared on my network.

"Download" worked, so problem solved - I'll use that in future. There was always and oddity with explorer - sometimes hummy would appear in explorer as a file resource (good), other times as a media resource (not good unless I only wanted to play it - it ws basically stuck in windows media player) - this looks more reliable.
OK, so your PC must have been finding the DLNA service. Install samba and you will find you can manage and copy the HDR-FOX content through File Manager as if it were just network storage.

Back