Wireless Connection

D Homan

Hi all, Just bought a new DTR-1010/1TB YouView box but don't have ready access to wired connection to my router. I see that one can get Humax (and other) USB wireless dongles, but these seem to talk about other Humax boxes, not the DTR-1010. Does anyone know if the Humax wirless dongle (approx. £28) works for the DTR-1010 YouView, whether this is a fast/reliable connection (assuming reasonable router signal strength) and (importantly) whether other USB dongles (which seem to be much cheaper) work just as well (eg "Edimax EW-7711|USN Wireless nLite Hig Gain USB Adapter" sold by Amazon UK)???

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks.
Daz.

There are many users of non-Humax WiFi dongles on HD/HDR-FOX, and experience has taught us which are compatible and which are not. The one you mention is typical. You might consider it worth the risk to try one on the DTR.

Given the problems getting the Humax dongle to work even on the other devices it is designed for (inability to input the wireless key) I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Humax dongles are incompatible with the T2, so no surprise there.

Thanks. Given the troubles people seem to have had getting these to work, maybe I should ask HUMAX direct - anybody had any experience with asking them technical questions like this "does your dongle work with a box x" and whether they just said "yes" and whether it actually worked or not? Not sure how open they would be to returning a dongle to them if it doesn't work -even if they said it would one the phone.

From
http://support.youview.com/articles...nnect-my-YouView-box-wirelessly-1370864306799
Can I connect my YouView box wirelessly?
To ensure a high quality experience when watching Catch-up and On Demand TV on YouView, we recommend a wired connection direct to your home router, or the use of Powerline Adapters which send the Internet signal from the router through your household electrical circuit.

It is also possible to connect using Wi-Fi, however it is more complex to set up and the viewing experience will depend on the Wi-Fi signal available in your home. This can be done using a product called a wireless Ethernet bridge which will need to be set up with your computer and can be purchased from most retailers. To see what customers say visit our community here: http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/connecting_a_youview_box_to_wifi.

YouView and its partners will continue to monitor innovation with wireless technology and may include support for Wi-Fi in a future software release.

You might consider using a TP-Link TL-WR702N. It's costs about £17 and can be configured as several different devices (router, repeater, client...).
If configured as a wifi client and connected to the HUMMY ethernet port it looks like an ethernet connection to the hummy, no worry about having the right driver on the hummy as it is transparent from that point of view.
I have used them in this way on a number of occasions and they are excellent.
I think you will find that Black Hole has used one and written about it elsewhere in this forum.

Alternatively consider HomePlug adapters, probably a little more expensive. I had a YouView box during their pilot phase, YouView sent a pair with the pilot box, I find this solution a bit more complex and less reliable myself.

I think you will find that Black Hole has used one and written about it elsewhere in this forum.
Indeed, but I prefer HomePlug. The advantage of either of these is that the network connection is provided through the Ethernet port, and is therefore totally transparent to the Humax.

I should also say that, from the usability perspective, HomePlug is essentially plug-n-play, whereas the WiFi adapter will require configuring through a web browser control panel.

Guys, excellent support! Thanks!
I like the transparency and P-n-P of the TP-Link. At £24.98 delivered I will give that a try. Any thoughts on throughput and possible 'dropout' on the TP-Link verses a wired solution (given that the two TP-Link plugs will only be about 6m apart separated by a timber studwork wall)?

Throughput should be fine, but 25 quid to get through a stud partition wall???? Poke a hole with a screwdriver and hard wire it! (I am half jesting of course)

HWMBO is on the case then?? ;=) I have that problem as well, so it seems like Home Plugs are the answer.

Any thoughts on throughput and possible 'dropout' on the TP-Link verses a wired solution (given that the two TP-Link plugs will only be about 6m apart separated by a timber studwork wall)?
By "TP-Link" I take it you mean HomePlug, in as much as TP-Link make all manner of devices (not just HomePlugs) and HomePlug is the trademarked name for units (from any manufacturer) which conform to that standard?

I have a HomePlug network and do not suffer drop-outs, but mine are Devolo. I had a cheap set previously which died.

Thanks, I know it sounds a bit daft but no effective way of hiding the wire.
You could possibly drill outwards and run the wire outside the wall? If there is another house there you may have to ask the owner's permission! :p

Connection speed with the Homeplug should be no problem. Connecting my laptop via WiFi to a downstairs router, connected via Homeplug to the modem router upstairs, and doing a speed test to thinkbroadband, I regularly get a throughput of 40 Mbps.

Back