Wireless N Dongle only connected at 54 mbps

Ian Gibson

I bought a wireless n dongle which seemed to work fine with my Humax. However, I've noted that in the status page that it's connected at 54 Mbps, i.e. Wireless G speed. I have a Wireless N router. Any ideas as to why it's not connected at 300 Mbps?

I bought a wireless n dongle which seemed to work fine with my Humax. However, I've noted that in the status page that it's connected at 54 Mbps, i.e. Wireless G speed. I have a Wireless N router. Any ideas as to why it's not connected at 300 Mbps?

Hi that’s what my one says as well. Its dependent on distance, what’s in the way etc. My laptop gets 240 at one end of the room, move up to the other, where the box is and its under 100. As the Wi-Fi aerial is low down and with the TV and Fox in front of it etc. I am not surprised as to be effective n needs multiple aerials to work well.
For my next TV I am doing to try two of the mains networking plugs as the dongle for the TV is not the cheep one that worked on the Fox!

If you want to transfer a lot of large files to and from the Humax then the faster the better, Obviously, However you don't need more than about 10 - 12 Mb/s Maximum to stream movies to and from the Humax, (Or for the TV Portal) So 54Mb/s is more than enough. Also movies streamed from the Humax will going through a decrypt stage which will limit the throughput even more

I bought an Edimax EW-7711UAn 150Mbps for the Fox T2 and I get 67mbps. I didnt expect much more than this as the router is at the opposite end of the house, with the wireless dongle at the back of the box under the TV its going to be affected by that too but as Ezra says that speed is fine for the streaming.

I have heard it mentioned that a WiFi network downgrades to the lowest speed of all the connected devices.

Back