Wobbly aerial input socket

Brand new member. What a great forum - that disassembly thread is great. My beloved Fox (with the over/under aerial ports) has developed a very wobbly aerial input socket which I just noticed. Could this be the cause of a sudden failure of signal strength? Plugged direct to TV the signals right across Freeview are great - put it through the Fox and suddenly there's all sorts of drops and freezes and blockiness. Would opening the case reveal a simple tightening-up job or am I in deep water? Previously five years of excellent service from the Fox-bought as a refurb from Humax. All hints gratefully received. Also, is this the right place for this?

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
Could this be the cause of a sudden failure of signal strength?
Most definitely yes.
Would opening the case reveal a simple tightening-up job or am I in deep water?
'Fraid not and possibly - it's not going to be a simple fix unless missing something.

Looking at the similar tuner module in a DTR-T1000 the main PCB will have to come out, the tuner LH screening can lid removed, the socket body soldered to the can then the socket/PCB connection checked and resoldered if necessary.

This is a job for someone who really knows what they're doing, not someone who just knows which end of a soldering iron to hold

If you're near Guildford I may be able to help.

(Mods: You might like to move this to its own thread)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Hard to say without seeing it, but if the wobbly socket is simply parting company with the metal can behind it, it can probably be cured if you have a soldering iron.

OP
OP
The Blue Acorn
Most definitely yes.

'Fraid not and possibly - it's not going to be a simple fix unless missing something.

Looking at the similar tuner module in a DTR-T1000 the main PCB will have to come out, the tuner LH screening can lid removed, the socket body soldered to the can then the socket/PCB connection checked and resoldered if necessary.

This is a job for someone who really knows what they're doing, not someone who just knows which end of a soldering iron to hold

If you're near Guildford I may be able to help.

(Mods: You might like to move this to its own thread)
Thanks for this opinion. Signal strength is just manageable at the moment but I may take you up on your offer. Not near Guildford or motorised but could certainly bring it to rail station for handoff if it comes to that. Will wait for a bit. Thanks again.