Won't Turn Off!

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I have redeployed HDR2 (which was returned from long-term loan) to another friend, and had a quick clean up in the process of installation (including ditching the ir macros which made it user-friendly with a Harmony). Loads of packages needed bringing up-to-date because it hasn't been used for 2½ years and wasn't often connected to the Internet even when it was in use.

The mystery is that I can't get it to turn off from the handset, even though it turns on from the handset. And yet, I can turn it off from the virtual remote! Not that I want to turn it off, but that was the first thing the new user tried to do.

Any guesses where I should look? It's not like it's being held up by chaseget (although I have set it up for ad detection – the main selling point – it is set to run after normal decryption, and anyway there is nothing in teh media list yet).

Has the Power button been remapped in /mod/boot/ir3.map?

chaseget
won't stop you powering off but might turn the humax back on shortly if there is a recording in progress at the time

Has the Power button been remapped in /mod/boot/ir3.map?
I disabled any map file in settings, but I agree it sounds like that sort of thing (no interference when the code isn't running). Perhaps I need to actually remove ir3.map to be certain (not there now).

WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for ir package >> Options >> Use custom map file? = No

I've renamed the map file for good measure, and rebooted (for good measure), and still the handset turns it on but not off. It responds to the front panel, and it responds to the virtual remote.

Running ir3/debugon shows "Blocking power command." in the log. Why?

I figured removing the ir package would cure it, but it won't remove as a dependency of chaseget (not that I need chaseget), so I didn't take that any further until I get advice.

If anyone can think of a line of investigation I will be grateful.

I hoped it would be in the ir settings but I couldn't see anything relevant :(
1689105115816.png

But searching the ir thread I found someone who was trying to disable the power button
Which lead to the wiki
When 'Ir' is installed, it is possible to 'lock out' the power off function by creating a file called /tmp/.irhold, then it won't be possible to power off the Humax using the remote

Also check your method of making the Power block persist over restarts

Last edited:
That looks the likely candidate, and it is indeed the same machine I was playing with in 2020 (now redeployed). Damned if I could remember the details of what I was trying to do let alone how, so much water has flown under this particular bridge (not least the chain of circumstances which have resulted in this machine being available and in my possession to redeploy). Let's just say it's not surprising I can't remember.

I have little doubt removing the aforementioned file will provide the solution, but won't get the opportunity until next week. Thanks all.

Would that explain why the 'Fox doesn't go to sleep again after a reminder schedule wake-up? I don't think so, but that is also happening.

Would that explain why the 'Fox doesn't go to sleep again after a reminder schedule wake-up? I don't think so, but that is also happening.
Possibly it could, does it shutdown after a background recording? I would also also check for delinquent half awake trigger conditions

/tmp/.irhold does not prevent the Humax shutting down after a reminder but using the remote control (e.g. changing channel) during the reminder period does cancel the shutdown

I hoped it would be in the ir settings but I couldn't see anything relevant
Now available in the beta ir package.
Anyone using customised startup scripts should remove them and use the settings in the WebIf instead, otherwise confusion may ensue.

Back