Worth trying again?

longhaul

I bought a Foxsat HDR when it was first released but sent it back after multiple freezes and after finding I just didn't like the way it worked. Now I'm thinking of giving the HDR-Fox T2 a try. but need a few re-assurances:
-- the previous box 'lost' sound and picture when you went into the EPG. Does the HDR-Fox T2?
-- can I record two channels and watch another live (subject to MUX limitations) like the Digital Stream allows?
-- can I delete recordings while watching another/watching live and/or recording another?
-- will the box be upgradeable to the YouView specs, or am I looking at an almost end of life product?

Now I'm thinking of giving the HDR-Fox T2 a try. but need a few re-assurances:
-- the previous box 'lost' sound and picture when you went into the EPG. Does the HDR-Fox T2?
No.
-- can I record two channels and watch another live (subject to MUX limitations) like the Digital Stream allows?
Yes.
-- can I delete recordings while watching another/watching live and/or recording another?
Yes. With recent versions of the software deletion is a background process so you can immediately start doing something else with the box after starting a delete).
-- will the box be upgradeable to the YouView specs, or am I looking at an almost end of life product?
The suggestion from a Humax source some time ago was that the box would not be upgradeable to YouView as the hardware was not powerful enough; I don't know if that is still their opinion. I would expect that when the YouView product is launched (I have no idea of when that is likely) it would be at a significantly higher price than the HDR; I would expect the HDR to continue in parallel for some time yet (at least 12 months).

If you want a very decent Freeview HD PVR with some internet connectivity then buy an HDR. If the additional capabilities of the YouView box are important and will merit the extra cost then wait (for an unknown period of time) for the launch of YouView boxes.

Looks like I might give it a try again.

Is it possible to replace a 500GB drive with a 1TB? If it is, is one particular type/model of drive required?

This forum pointed me to the great work being done with the custom firmware, and that customisation turns a bog standard PVR in to a fantastic machine

I used to use an old laptop to stream video from my NAS to my TV, but now I can do it on the HDR

The custom firmware is what pushed me to buy one the next day and I haven't looked back

This is by far the best PVR I have ever owned

I bought it to replace my still working Sagem, which has always been rubbish - I have had new replacements 3 times in the past year alone because it keeps going faulty

I needed a PVR that would connect to my home network so that I could move files off of the Hummy on to my PC for editing/converting

Thanks for the advice. I have a shiny new 1TB HDR-Fox T2 sitting under my TV. Custom firmware soon to be added.

The only downside (to date!) is that the remote operates both the new box and the Foxsat receiver sitting next to it. Is there a work-round other than a piece of card in front of the Foxsat?

Update: found the 'Using more than 1 Humax box in the same room' thread. Problem solved!

From the Wiki

Multiple Humax Remotes
Problem
If you have more than one HUMAX product in the same room (say Freeview and Freesat) you may find that their remotes control the wrong receiver, It is possible to synchronize a remote / receiver using an alternative set of remote codes
Solution
Switch on your TV set and the Humax product that you wish to change the remote code
Make sure that the other Humax product that you do not wish to control is in Standby or powered OFF at the mains
Point the remote control towards the target receiver.
Press and hold the 0 and OK buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the PVR button on the remote stays red.
This message will appear on the TV screen:
"You can change the remote control mode. Press a Numeric Key (<1> ~ <6>) to select the mode Current mode: Mode 1."
Press a NUMERIC button (from 1 to 6) to select a different mode.
A message confirming the change of Mode will appear on screen e.g.
Remote control mode has been changed to mode X.
Notes:
As default the mode on all products will be set to "1"
If the receiver does not operate, retry from '3' above after 10 seconds
Known to work with :- HDR-FOX-T2, HD-FOX-T2, FOXSAT-HDR, FOXSAT-HD and HDCI-5000

It was worth giving Humax a second chance: the HDR Fox T2 is a far better proposition than the Foxsat I bought previously. So much better that there's a second one on its way for my wife to use!

I've installed the (excellent!) custom firmware and am delighted and amazed by the options it offers, especially the remote access from my laptop.

My only outstanding issues are for the guide to open in my Favourites listing, and for it always to open with a given channel at the top rather than at the current channel. Is this possible? It's an old Toppy+MyStuff habit...

My only outstanding issues are for the guide to open in my Favourites listing, and for it always to open with a given channel at the top rather than at the current channel. Is this possible?

There is a setting in the Web-If at Settings >> General Settings >> Channel Group for EPG that lets you set your favorite, However, The last time I tried it it didn't work for me

No, it's not working here either, though it was the view of the EPG from the TV that I was hoping to be as I described.

A further thought on setting up. As we will have two boxes on the same network, will we be able to watch recordings from one on the other across the network?

A further thought on setting up. As we will have two boxes on the same network, will we be able to watch recordings from one on the other across the network?

Yes the standard unmodified firmware allows this. HDR FOX T2 - HDR FOX T2 or HDR FOX T2 - HD FOX T2 (but not vice versa).

it was the view of the EPG from the TV that I was hoping to be as I described.

It is possible to get the TV EPG to display using your favories list, From the remote Guide >> Group >> select your favorite and then change channel by selecting a program from the EPG, the last bit locks the EPG onto the new 'group'. As for the EPG always openning at say Ch1, I'm not sure, But if you enter '1' on the remote the EPG will be re-drawn with '1' on the screen.

It is possible to stream from a HDR to a HD or another HDR, But you can't stream from a HD

It is possible to get the TV EPG to display using your favories list, From the remote Guide >> Group >> select your favorite and then change channel by selecting a program from the EPG, the last bit locks the EPG onto the new 'group'.
I have discovered that if the box wakes up from a power-on timer, it will reset the EPG to display the TV group. Very annoying.

Yes, but beware of the 4GB bug until Humax fix it (the Humax DLNA clients terminate the stream at 4GB - which is less than an hour of HiDef).

I have discovered that if the box wakes up from a power-on timer, it will reset the EPG to display the TV group. Very annoying.

It will do this if the channel selected in the power on screen is not in your favorites list, So just change the Channel in your power on menu to one that is in your favorites list and then the group should not flip to TV

just change the Channel in your power on menu to one that is in your favorites list and then the group should not flip to TV
Already doing that, but the epg still flips back to TV everytime the machine wakes up via a power on timer. No big deal, just annoying.

Back