Would you still recommend this when starting from scratch today?

Jameseh

Been thinking about finally doing one of these so I thought I best off ask you guys if you currently had no equipment, would this box and fw still be your first choice?

I've been eying up the VBox Home Gateway (+ Android box/HTPC) or a european DVB-T2 DVR too, thinking that this box may be long in the tooth.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

It depends what you want it to do (I presume you mean an HDR T2).
Personally, it suits me perfectly and there is nothing better.

I would, yes.
Although there are boxes available with more, dual DVB-T2 tuners is still enough most of the time and there is no newer standard in use for terrestrial. There are plenty of options for catch-up if you need it so having it built into the DVR isn't necessary.
With the custom firmware you can increase the storage, decrypt everything and manage your recording schedule remotely, and lots more depending on what you want to do.

Been thinking about finally doing one of these so I thought I best off ask you guys if you currently had no equipment, would this box and fw still be your first choice?
I've got five - they're likely to see me out. The open-standard Linux boxes are interesting though, and it's only because of af123's devoted efforts that we have this much mileage out of the HDR-FOX.

Try this thread: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/homebrew-solutions-to-hdr-fox-replacement.6871/

It is one of best ever purchases, it is a good machine out of the box but the custom firmware and webif packages raise it to a whole new level.

Back