XBMC fast forward/rewind workaround

bth124

As noted from the main Raspberry Pi thread the Humax DLNA server doesn't appear to support fast forward or rewind in XBMC.

Is there a workaround for this, perhaps running a samba share on the hummy and connecting directly to that in XBMC, or using the mediatomb server instead?

I'll have a go at experimenting myself, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone else had done the same thing already.
Thanks

The thing you need to remember with MediaTomb (as an alternative DLNA server) or a Samba share (to provide direct network access to the files) is that both are bypassing the built-in DLNA server and its decryption. You will need to start with pre-decrypted source material.

Yes, I was aware of that. Although it is a hassle I think it would probably worth it assuming it allowed fast forward.
I've not done it but I assume it is just a case of setting up an auto decrypt job?

Yes, no problem at all as long as you are happy with the custom software approach (see topics for unencrypt or WebIF Auto-decrypt).

I'm not sure its entirely the humax, playing the files via vlc on my laptop they allow fast forward and rewind.

Here are my findings via dlna:
On raspi XBMC (raspbmc) no scanning (not even through mediatomb)

On xbox 1 XBMC (xbmc4xbox) it does allow scanning on SD content but this device isn't up to running hd and its an older version of xbmc

On ipad aceplayer you can't use slider but can swipe screen to skip 30 seconds

I cannot recall on ipad xbmc and will try later

On pc via vlc scanning works

I haven't tried xbmc on pc, testing both pc and ipad builds is my next step

I'm not convinced its purely a humax problem as some devices can but maybe the ones which can don't truly obey the dlna spec!

I've not gone samba because of the decrypt and also performance impact some people have reported on the pi using samba for hd content (mkv / .h264) although they're recent opening up of the turbo function may help.

Regards

Damian

Thanks Damian,
Sounds like you have tried most of what I was going to try anyway.
I can confirm XBMC on PC also doesn't allow scanning from hummy built in streamer.

Its all a bit frustrating to be honest. I'm open to spending £100 on a decent media client, but it seems such a minefield to know which one will be compatible in advance. So much for standards ...............

I've always heard good things about the xtreamer 2 friends have them but neither a humax so I can't verify it does fast forward!

Thanks for trying xbmc on pc

Regards

Damian

Back