XBMC networking

Steve

Hi all

I have read through the forums and found many related posts but am starting my own post as I believe my question is slightly differrent.

I have just purchased the HDR-FOX T2 for my lounge. I have a Windows 7 media pc in my bedroom. This is networked. I use XBMC to play all of my files on my media PC.

What I want to do is to be able to play recorded HDR-FOX T2 programs in the lounge on the networked media pc (running XBMC) in the bedroom. Can someone tell me if this is possible? And if it is possible does it need to be downloaded to the media centre hard drive first or will it just play over the network?

I understand that it can be accessed via the media PC browser which is fine for me but the wife is a different kettle of fish!

Thanks in advance

It'll show up in XBMC as well as Media Centre. Ffwd/Rwd/Skip doesn't work, but other than that it works fine.

Thanks for your reply. Will custom firmware get around the Ffwd/Rwd/Skip issue? Or is there potential to solve this in the future through software updates (official or unofficial)?

Am I interpreting the question correctly? It sounds like you want to stream from the HDR-FOX T2 to the PC.

XBMC will play your StDef recordings out-of-the-box with no mods to the Humax. Just follow my Trail Guide (click), scroll down to Stage 2.

HiDef will be more difficult, and require running the MSP to trick the Humax into serving the recordings unprotected. Reports indicate you are best running Linux VLC for this (easy enough to dual-boot your PC; I will try it in a virtual machine but I have doubts whether there will be sufficient performance). Other than that, I recommend sticking with StDef for streaming until HiDef support improves.

Transport control (also known as trick play, ie FF/REW etc) is an issue, and I have only resolved that by downloading first and then playing it with VLC (and it is not necessary to wait for the download to finish). XBMC might pull off the same trick, not sure. I will add a link to previous postings on the subject when I find them.

In case you are asking about streaming from the PC to the Humax/TV, I believe XBMC has DLNA server capabilities, but I have never tried it.

It'll show up in XBMC as well as Media Centre. Ffwd/Rwd/Skip doesn't work, but other than that it works fine.
Do you mean Windows Media Centre? I've not discovered any DLNA client functionality in it - have you?

Yes, streaming via wired network from HDR-FOX T2 to the PC to play using XMBC.
XBMC is DLNA capable and I believe it should be able to serve up PC/external hard drive files to the HDR-FOXT2.

XBMC is DLNA capable and I believe it should be able to serve up PC/external hard drive files to the HDR-FOXT2.
People in the know seem to prefer TVersity, if only to cope with a wider variety of formats than DLNA would normaly deliver (by transcoding).

Back