XenForo "Ignore" Option

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
This thread has been split off from another where I found my suggestions and advice were not being responded to by user Member 7823 (see the original thread for the full context):
It's a Barracuda. Barracudas are intended for PC use (high transfer rate random access) rather than PVR use (moderate sustained sequential access), and may have undesirable properties such as head parking, unnecessary spin speed, and higher operating power. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it is not optimised.
Got the HDD today. Factory Reset including format
For the record FVP 4000 does not recognise that drive
Check you've not been supplied an old one with only SATA1 not SATA2.
One thing I'm thinking. My HDD is failing because of a power out. I've since discovered that most 3.5 Sata drives have a separate power supply outside the ribbon connector, which makes me think this is where my problem lies.
Sounds like my posts are being ignored!

Last edited:
Sounds like my posts are being ignored!
I seem to think the OP ignored loads of people, including me, a while back. You might have been included in that list. Despite doing a search, I can't find the conversation where that happened.

That's OK as hopefully loads of people ignored him too.
I did :). I warned you all about the cut of his jib when he first appeared here and even posted a link to his irritating behavior elsewhere on the net. I think my post was removed if I remember correctly.

I have a mild suspicion that he is the same person who used a rather rude username, that I have forgotten, in the past.

Ah, I remember, it was something to do with you mouth and excrement.

Somebody tell him that by turning off certain regulars here he's missing out on a lot of useful information and advice.

Somebody tell him that by turning off certain regulars here he's missing out on a lot of useful information and advice.
There you go BH.

Last edited:
Edited. So how will 'they' know?
That's the way the "ignore" function in Xenforo works. If you decide to ignore a specific person, you don't then see any of their content in a thread, or any quote from their content posted by somebody else, and any thread started by them does not appear in the forum listing (although you can see individual posts not from the ignored person listed in other ways).

I don't like "ignoring" people (as much as I might want to); the action has consequences too draconian for the usability of the forum. The OP might consider I have nothing to say relevant to an FVP-4000, but some advice is relevant to all PVRs (or all Humax PVRs). Ignoring is more applicable to purely "social" forums populated by truculent teenagers (and in those cases I ignore the whole thing).

Last edited:
I don't like "ignoring" people (as much as I might want to); the action has consequences too draconian for the usability of the forum.
Yes. I tried ignoring someone in another XenForo and it made it harder work than just skipping their posts.
It needs an option to just blank out their post contents, or do something like the spoiler function, so you don't accidentally read them.

Edited. So how will 'they' know?
That's the way the "ignore" function in Xenforo works
I just did a quick test by ignoring BH (nothing personal, and I've now unignored you). Trev had edited the post, as he said, and removed reference to BH. His modified quote was available. BH's original quote was blocked by a banner telling me I was ignoring the user. All BH's posts were gone! (What a relief :p;):D)

That's the way the "ignore" function in Xenforo works. If you decide to ignore a specific person, you don't then see any of their content in a thread, or any quote from their content posted by somebody else, and any thread started by them does not appear in the forum listing (although you can see individual posts not from the ignored person listed in other ways).

I don't like "ignoring" people (as much as I might want to); the action has consequences too draconian for the usability of the forum. The OP might consider I have nothing to say relevant to an FVP-4000, but some advice is relevant to all PVRs (or all Humax PVRs). Ignoring is more applicable to purely "social" forums populated by truculent teenagers (and in those cases I ignore the whole thing).
Yes. I tried ignoring someone in another XenForo and it made it harder work than just skipping their posts.
It needs an option to just blank out their post contents, or do something like the spoiler function, so you don't accidentally read them.
I just did a quick test by ignoring BH (nothing personal, and I've now unignored you). Trev had edited the post, as he said, and removed reference to BH. His modified quote was available. BH's original quote was blocked by a banner telling me I was ignoring the user. All BH's posts were gone! (What a relief :p;):D)
Frankly I couldn't give a stuff, but if I don't know my posts are turned off by somebody (so far as I can see there is no warning of this - there needs to be an "ignored by" category in your user settings as well as "ignoring") I'm wasting my time offering help. Others might think the query has been answered and not bother replying. It all adds up to the OP cutting his nose off to spite his face, just because he can't cope with being told he's an idiot (and thereby proving it).

I think the only answer is a reciprocal turn-off. Readers might like to check out the new addendum to my sig.

Last edited:
And I was under the obviously misunderstanding the we were all adults here.

'Ignoring' someone (and telling the world that you are) is so damn childish. Just don't bother to read what they post.
I don't bother to read a post when someone writes a (usually) badly punctuated enormous block of text, but I don't bang on about it.

I thought that you were more sensible than tit fot tat childishness BH.

I thought that you were more sensible than tit fot tat childishness BH.
You obviously haven't understood the impact the ignore function has. I'm not advertising that I am ignoring Member 7823; the point is to advise the forum regulars that Member 7823 is ignoring my posts, and therefore there is no point in my responding to any of his posts even if they are sensible. If you think I should make a mental note rather than a reciprocal ignore, you are expecting me to remember that.

Like I said earlier, it would help if the forum signalled if somebody is ignoring - but it doesn't, so I have had to resort to my own measures.

Back