You tube videos in wrong format

AlanB

Yesterday, I thought I'd view some Traveling Wilburys YouTube videos on the Humax Internet Portal. The search found quite a few of them, but every time I tried to view one I got an error message saying that the video could not be loaded as it was in the wrong format. Is this because it is US NCST instead of European PAL, or something similar. Is there some way to upgrade my hummy, e.g., via a custom firmware package, so that it can view videos in any format -- or at least most common ones?

Are any YouTubes playing at all? Sometimes there is a glitch which stops it working.

Yes, I should have made it clear, some other videos on You Tube worked fine, so it's not a general problem with videos. I mentioned the specific videos I was trying to watch in case someone wanted to repeat the experiment.

Yes, I should have made it clear, some other videos on You Tube worked fine, so it's not a general problem with videos. I mentioned the specific videos I was trying to watch in case someone wanted to repeat the experiment.

PS -- And I've just been watching the same You Tube Traveling Wilburys videos on my PC with no trouble, so it's not that the videos themselves are broken.

Not much help I'm afraid, but you are not alone. I get the same error message for most of the stuff I want to watch, which is UK sourced aerial footage. From the same producer, some videos display OK, and others fail with the "wrong format" error. All are OK on the PC.

Not much help I'm afraid, but you are not alone. I get the same error message for most of the stuff I want to watch, which is UK sourced aerial footage. From the same producer, some videos display OK, and others fail with the "wrong format" error. All are OK on the PC.

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not alone anyway. Now we need some wizard to write a package for the custom firmware that allows our hummys to read these non-UK formats.

What format are the videos that will not play? can you post a link to a particular one that does not play on the Humax, but does play on your PC.

I get this message on the majority of music videos I try to play. Is it a rights issue perhaps? They do play on my laptop OK though so maybe not.

What format are the videos that will not play? can you post a link to a particular one that does not play on the Humax, but does play on your PC.

An example of such a video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cwqhdRs4jyA . Or search for "Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line " on the Humax YouTube option. I think any Traveling Wilburys video will do as an example, but this is one of many I unsuccessfully tried to play on the Humax, but just successfully played on my laptop.

As for format, I see the file has an mht extension. Does this help?

Thanks.

Is this because it is US NCST instead of European PAL, or something similar. Is there some way to upgrade my hummy, e.g., via a custom firmware package, so that it can view videos in any format -- or at least most common ones?

The files won't have any PAL NTSC or SECAM info. in them as these are colour TV standards, If they are in an incompatible format for the Humax then they will have to be converted because it has not proved possible to add any extra video playing functionality to the Humax

An example of such a video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cwqhdRs4jyA . Or search for "Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line " on the Humax YouTube option. I think any Traveling Wilburys video will do as an example, but this is one of many I unsuccessfully tried to play on the Humax, but just successfully played on my laptop.

As for format, I see the file has an mht extension. Does this help?

Thanks.

Oops! I see the url presented itself as a YouTube window. I'd not expected that. I don't see a way to stop it happening, unfortuantely.

The files won't have any PAL NTSC or SECAM info. in them as these are colour TV standards, If they are in an incompatible format for the Humax then they will have to be converted because it has not proved possible to add any extra video playing functionality to the Humax

Pity, but thanks for the clarification.

That sample video seems to have five versions available

[Medium] mp4
[480p] flv
[360p] flv
[240p] flv
[Mobile] 3gp

I am not certain, but think that the Humax will only play the mp4 version. If this can not be specifically selected, it is probably the reason why the Humax will not play the video.

Edit: I have removed the embedded video from posts #9 & #11, and replaced it with the URL

Edit: I have removed the embedded video from posts #9 & #11, and replaced it with the URL

Thanks.

Did you manage to select the MP4 version or do you know how this can be done? Ezra Pound's post suggests that there is not a version that will play on the Humax.

I too have had this problem but I think it may be intermittent - ie I suspect I have successfully played a video and then found on a subsequent occasion that it came up with the format error. Does this sound familiar/feasible? I can't be absolutely sure because it's usually late at night ( so wine taken ) and with so many duplicates on Youtube, possibly in different formats, I'd have to note the exact URL to eliminate all doubt.

I could try that if it would be useful.

I too have had this problem but I think it may be intermittent - ie I suspect I have successfully played a video and then found on a subsequent occasion that it came up with the format error. Does this sound familiar/feasible?

This was not my problem. I could not play the video on my first attempt.

This was not my problem. I could not play the video on my first attempt.
I should have been clearer - by intermittent I also meant some that had not played first time did play subsequently. But as I said, my memory may be dodgy.
I've since put in an Apple TV which includes YouTube. So far seems much more reliable than the Hummy version and if you use the iPhone remote app you get to use a proper keyboard instead of the point and click version. So now I only use the TV Portal for iPlayer.

Back