youtube-dl (non-CF)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I installed the Windows version of youtube-dl (youtube-dl.exe) and have been running it on a Windows command line*, basically because by HomePlug network link to the HDR-FOXes is so crap** (I might put a wire in one day). After an iPlayer download I got something like "ffmpeg not found" (because iPlayer downloads seem to need the audio stream patched up, and youtube-dl calls up ffmpeg to do that), so I put a copy of ffmpeg.exe into the same directory as youtube-dl.exe (and I run everything from that working directory).

Now, however, the error message reads "ERROR: ffprobe or avprobe not found. Please install one.". Isn't ffprobe part of ffmpeg.exe? I can't find a separate download for it.

* Note I didn't say DOS! I get chastised when I call the Windows command interpreter DOS (which I agree it isn't, but it mostly behaves the same and I'm sure anyone who has used PCs since the '80s will regard the DOS command set as their first point of reference)!

** Don't you love it when they say "rubbish" on TV when you just know they mean "crap"?

I downloaded ffmpeg as a zip. When extracted it included ffmpeg.exe, ffplay.exe and ffprobe.exe. I put all three files in the same folder as youtube-dl and all works fine.

I'm sure I've had to do the same thing for the get_iplayer. I can't use the ffmpeg that comes with it - so I've downloaded a different version which came as a zip with those three files in it.
  1. I'm sure anyone who has used PCs since the '80s will regard the DOS command set as their first point of reference.
  2. Don't you love it when they say "rubbish" on TV when you just know they mean "crap"?

1. Yes.
2. Much prefer people use the wrong word - rather than have the sound dipped, dubbed or jerky edits. I saw a film once where somebody referred to the "mucking balloon going up". I knew what he meant. Another one where someone said "my sugar" - probably meant my :poop: - :D

I installed the Windows version of youtube-dl (youtube-dl.exe)
What happened to your new computer beast thingy? Haven't heard anything about that recently. I thought you were going to run Linux on it?
Now, however, the error message reads "ERROR: ffprobe or avprobe not found. Please install one.". Isn't ffprobe part of ffmpeg.exe?
It usually is.
If you run "youtube-dl -v" you should get back something like this:
[debug] exe versions: avconv 2.8.15, avprobe 2.8.15, ffmpeg 3.3-static, ffprobe 2.8.15, rtmpdump 2.4-n111-gitfa8646d-ppa9p2
which I guess is telling you what it's found on your system.
* Note I didn't say DOS!
Very good!

What happened to your new computer beast thingy? Haven't heard anything about that recently. I thought you were going to run Linux on it?
Sitting in a corner (actually, right in the middle of my lounge/ent.centre) waiting for attention. I know, I know...

For Windows, download a standalone build of ffmpeg from Windows Zeranoe see here: you want static linking/ either 32- or 64-bit. I put ffmpeg into its own folder (e.g. C:\ffmpeg) with ffprobe etc. So Windows knows where these programs reside when called, you need to add the location of the executables to the system path: see here.

So I take it ffprobe is a separate executable. Putting it in the same working directory should save any messing about with paths.

Back