YouTube on Humax TV Portal

Yes, I had a message last month when I tried to access uTube saying the app was being withdrawn due to uTube moving to only accepting https, then the app disappeared from the list.

The following week when I went to use iPlayer I noticed that it was back and I tried it and it worked. I wonder whether it did indeed only have http support, maybe someone tweaked something on the portal to add https ?

I haven't checked an HDR-FOX yet, but...
It appears to work, not that I got it to play anything before it crashed (which is the usual story on the 2 occasions I've tried to use it before).
Really? Does anybody use this thing? It seems like a complete exercise in frustration to me. Waste of space and time. Good riddance (when it goes).
Use that super-duper new computer you haven't built yet instead...

Yes. There is plenty of interest on YouTube, if you go looking for it rather than just accept the automatic feed of mega fails and cat videos. Using the Humax to view gets it on the big screen rather than sitting at the computer, without having to set up casting from my iPad to the TV via an iTV box, and more to the point: easily capture it for future reference (not so relevant on the HD-FOX). It can be frustrating though, presumably the extra Internet activity exposes more opportunities for the Humax bugs to crash it*.

The reason I was looking last night was to find coverage of the USA eclipse (which was just visible here as a nick out of the edge immediately before sunset). I was in Bristol and sunset was artificially early because of a cloud bank to the west; judging from the sky Bristol-Portishead-Clevedon was in a favoured area for afternoon sunshine.

You're right - it is still working on HDR-FOX. The YouTube TV Portal app appears in both "Featured Apps" and "My Apps", whereas on the HD-FOX it has disappeared from "Featured Apps". Why the difference? :confused: (ret.)

* Surely the Internet communications stack uses standard Linux code rather than Humax crafted stuff in the settop module? If so, "we" should be able to replace it with something more robust.

Don't smart tvs have youtube now? There was never much of interest on the portal.

You're right - it is still working on HDR-FOX.
It may be that the YouTube app is going to be removed from the HDR-FOX too? Perhaps not? There are other differences; the HD-FOX has never had the BBC Sport and News apps.
What is the mechanism for enabling different apps on different boxes? Does a server at Humax authenticate based on the serial number or system id? Is it possible to make the HD-FOX present itself as a HDR-FOX, or even a HDR-2000T?

I was in Bristol and sunset was artificially early because of a cloud bank to the west; judging from the sky Bristol-Portishead-Clevedon was in a favoured area for afternoon sunshine.
I didn't bother as I can't see the west - north west sky anyway near the horizon because of too many houses, which would have meant going out somewhere, and it would probably have been cloudy, and it wasn't that a good one, and and and...
Why the difference? :confused: (ret.)
I think you mean Rhet.
* Surely the Internet communications stack uses standard Linux code rather than Humax crafted stuff in the settop module? If so, "we" should be able to replace it with something more robust.
Like we've been able to replace the Sqlite3 code? Not.
The trouble with it is that it's a monolithic app., rather than being modular. This makes it very hard.

It may be that the YouTube app is going to be removed from the HDR-FOX too?
As I said before it did disappear briefly from the HDR but it appeared back in there very quickly. I'm still thinking of getting an alternative because the Humax one can't access your youtube account, and the search facility is dreadful

But I don't have "smart" TVs.
I have a NOW TV box, which you can pick up for £15 or so.
The website is hideous, but the box is great.
Based on Roku, it's a hockey puck with Ethernet and WiFi and only connects via HDMI.

It has an app for YouTube, as well BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, Free Speech TV, VEVO and Vimeo.

The version of BBC iPlayer is the best one I've used.

The YouTube app allows you to log in to your existing account.

Of course, there's a catch.

NOW TV is owned and run by SKY TV, so, yes, it only costs £15 in the shop, but when you set up the box, it will ask for your credit card details.

That said, I have had the box for 3 years now and not paid a penny.

If you enter the NOW TV or SKY Sports apps, and see something you like, you can try to play it and you will get a dialog prompting you to buy a Pass.

It's a deliberate act, which is to say you can't 'accidentally' watch paid content and you won't be tricked into doing so.

And it saves off iPlayer and YouTube content does it? Shouldn't think so! And my Internet isn't good enough to make sufficent use of one anyway.

Back