YouTube

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Regulars will know I dipped a toe into the waters of YouTube recently, and posted an instructional video on getting the Humax handset into the mode where the user can re-assign the control channel. Relevant post here:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-more-than-1-humax-box-in-the-same-room.23/page-3#post-82499

Having uploaded the video, I discovered tools to annotate it by adding captions.

Here's the weird thing: viewed on my PC (even anonymously), the captions are fine. Viewed on my iPad, they are missing. How annoying is that??

In Safari, are you not able to run the video while embedded in the post (without launching the YouTube app)? I can. I don't get the captions in either case.

More data: when viewed in Mercury with a non-mobile user agent, the captions show.

This is weird. As I understand it, whether I use Safari or Mercury (or any other viewer), all web rendering is performed by the same engine (an Apple requirement). Therefore the view should be identical (and I have observed the same defects in Mercury as Safari, indicating that they are using the same engine).

If I try to open a YouTube video in safari it always switches straight to YouTube App.
I can't find any obvious way to stop it doing this.

If I open it in Chrome or Mercury it plays within the browser itself and displays text perfectly.

I'm using an iPad Air 2 on iOS 8.3.

EDIT: symptoms are the same on iPhone 6.

Sorry, can't comment on whether its difference between iOS 7 & 8, I can't remember whether 7 did the same or not.
From a quick google search it looks like it's been like this since YouTube was cut from iOS itself. Was that when they went from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 ...

I can't get anything like that to restore the captions for me, I reckon this is to do with the way the video feed is handled in Safari. In 8.3 you can break the link with the YouTube app and the Safari renders the video for itself (complete with captions), whereas in 7.1 the YouTube app handles the video whether it is exported or remains embedded - hence no captions.

Mercury is not linking to YouTube and handling the video itself - hence captions.

Edit: typo (autocorrect error)

Last edited:
Sounds like a double whammy in 7.1 then; app and safari renderer!
It's the same app for 7.1 and 8.3 so that's not a surprise, but they must have amended the browser in 8.

Back