YouView by Humax, TalkTalk and BT - all the same hardware?

penshaw

Are all the YouView boxes from the same source and are they essentially the same?

I know the BT version may be locked to BT but is the TalkTalk version also locked?

I would appreciate any info on this as I am thinking about replacing one of my two HDR FoxT2's with a TalkTalk YouView box.

As far as I know, the BT YouView box is made by Humax, and the TalkTalk YouView box is made by Huawei.

Thanks Brian.

So I presume the Talktalk box is made by Huawei under licence from Humax?

Do you know if the hardware / firmware is the same and if Humax supports the Talktalk version?

I would say that the TalkTalk box has nothing to do with Humax, why do you think that it would?

Both boxes will be made under licence from YouView, and will no doubt be supported by their respective manufacturers, Humax for the Humax and BT branded boxes, and Huawei for the TalkTalk branded box.

Thanks Brian.

I've completely misread the set up with YouView.

I mistakenly thought that YouView was a Humax brand and that Humax had licensed Huawei to make the Talktalk version ( for cheapness?)

Anyway, I've had a look at the Talktalk forum and there are too many problems being reported about the Huawei version, so I am going to stick with my HDR FoxT2's

Thanks for your help.

Strangely, Talktalk help pages include operating instructions for the Humax and Huawei boxes:-
http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/tv/youview-user-guides

When YouView was first put forward as a new catchup TV service 7 manufactures (Technicolor, Humax, Huawei, Pace, Manhattan, Vestel and Cisco) applied to make a Youview box using their own hardware (that meets a Core Specification) and running common YouView designed software, 4 of the 7 dropped out leaving Humax , Huawei and another (can't remember who) to carry on. Humax were first to market and so for a while were the only YouView box manufactures, until Huawei launched their box, I guess this is why the Talktalk site shows both boxes. The third manufacture's product still hasn't made it to market, they may have pulled-out, not sure

When YouView was first put forward as a new catchup TV service 7 manufactures (Technicolor, Humax, Huawei, Pace, Manhattan, Vestel and Cisco) applied to make a Youview box using their own hardware (that meets a Core Specification) and running common YouView designed software, 4 of the 7 dropped out leaving Humax , Huawei and another (can't remember who) to carry on. Humax were first to market and so for a while were the only YouView box manufactures, until Huawei launched their box, I guess this is why the Talktalk site shows both boxes. The third manufacture's product still hasn't made it to market, they may have pulled-out, not sure

Tell us about Lord Sugar getting fired...

I would like to think that he got paid on performance, in which case his services would have been free of charge, wishful thinking though I'm afraid. I wouldn't pay the guy in chocolate buttons.

Back