Youview UHD v Humax 5000T?

zedx19

I've just purchased a 5000T to replace a Youview UHD box I'd had for 18 months or so, which had developed a faulty coax port. I don't actually use UHD so the lack of it on 5000T does not bother me. However, what I have found is the navigation seems sluggish compared with the Youview UHD box? I have a regular Youview box upstairs which is also sluggish and of similar performance to the 5000T, however that box is 3 years old now and full of recordings!

Where as the Youview UHD box would load the TV Guide instantly, the 5000T takes 1 second, which I know doesn't sound much but it is frustrating when you're used to things happening instantly. Another example is when searching for things. The results for On Next come up quick, but then a few seconds later the On Demand results pop up. You can already start navigating the results and it'll change to the On Demand section, which again is a little frustrating. The On Demand apps are also noticeably slower to load.

Is this a hardware issue or is it likely to be fixed in future updates? Considering the 5000T is a lot newer than the Youview box, I expected a faster processor and smooth navigation. It's not all bad though, there are many many nice features of the 5000T, not to mention the multiple tuners as well as the better organisation of recordings and recommended viewing screen. I just wish it all ran a bit smoother.

I am interested in 4k so this comparison is interesting to me. When I go shopping I shall see if I, too, observe this slowness.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect the user interface to speed up any time if ever.
It's always been very slow because every key press is cached so that every time you press a key it will take as long as it takes to load that information in and only then will it start to process each key press in turn

instead of each key stroke being flushed at every key press as per web browser, where as soon as you click a button the browser flushed all previous keystrokes and gets to work on the last one

It's a rank amateur programming gaff and I don't see them getting smarter anytime soon

Oddly it seems to have quickened up a bit, or maybe I'm just getting used to it!!

Anyone put a SSD in one of these to see whether that quickens things up?

I am not aware of anyone having tried an SSD. Generally speaking the hard drive performance is not the limiting factor on PVRs so I would be very surprised if it made a difference.

It has been tried and deemed a waste of your hard earned, as large(ish) SSDs cost £££££. No speed advantage as already pointed out, as the HDD is not the limiting speed factor. Unless of course elimination of the noise of the HDD and possibly the fan is your overriding objective.;)

I'm sending my 5000T back, last night trying to watch BBC Iplayer and it just kept freezing, black screen then would cut back to TV guide. On paper it's the best box out there, in reality it's slow and buggy. I've managed to position my old Youview UHD in such a way that it's holding signal for the time being, will see if I can fix the coax port. Booting up the Youview UHD box though highlighted how slow the 5000T was. Everything happens instantly on the UHD box, no lag when searching or opening TV guide or opening recordings, despite the 1TB box being 60% full. Just wish I could get the UHD box with more than 2 tuners!

Back