Zzzz...

Perhaps an Admin can find a way to send a suitably worded email to Trev's registered email address?

I thought about starting a forum conversation, but all that will do is send an alert to the email address and if Trev's affairs are in somebody else's hands they might have access to email but not the forum.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but this forum is actually an important part of my social circle so it would be a shame if we accidentally lost touch, and considering the age group maybe we should have some kind of policy or protocol. If something has happened, it would be nice to have some means of sending condolences to the family and say how appreciated the member known as "Trev" was here.

We can't even be sure the forum itself is going to stay up – with @af123 "missing" too, who knows when it might suddenly disappear (eg because of the bill not having been paid).

I wonder what has happened to af123? Nothing serious I hope, but I find it worrying that he has not been ‘seen’ in an age.

I think the writing is on the wall for these forums. Sadly.
Could be one reason some forums migrate to Facebook groups or the like, where the system is not dependent on a single owner/operator.

Are the various wikis and help pages also hosted here, or in a less vulnerable archive?

I am making a assumption here but I feel if af123 was in a position to visit here even just this say ‘hello’, he would have done so by now.

Are the various wikis and help pages also hosted here, or in a less vulnerable archive?
Frayed knot. And don't forget the RS. I don't want to appear pessimistic, and I'm certainly not anti-af123, but (regardless of the circumstances) I do think there should be some kind of disaster recovery plan – even if it were kept in some kind of "sealed envelope".

This ecosystem could have a life beyond any one specific individual, but at the moment it seems to entirely hinge on one individual. There was an orderly transfer when Michael Eaton wanted out, but in a disaster there is no opportunity for an orderly transfer unless the mechanism was already in place.

We can't even be sure the forum itself is going to stay up – with @af123 "missing" too, who knows when it might suddenly disappear (eg because of the bill not having been paid).
I think that unlikely (at the moment), because it seems that other more commercial things would have to go tits up as well.
It looks like af123 last posted on this forum on 6 April 2021
29th April for me in a conversation, but I haven't had a need for contact since then.
This ecosystem could have a life beyond any one specific individual, but at the moment it seems to entirely hinge on one individual.
Trouble is, without that one individual's help, it's very difficult (or even impossible) to do.
The package repository could be shifted without too much hassle (I have done it for my own boxes), and limited mods. to firmware builds are possible, as some people already know, but the rest is tricky without access to systems and source code.

Frayed knot. And don't forget the RS. I don't want to appear pessimistic, and I'm certainly not anti-af123, but (regardless of the circumstances) I do think there should be some kind of disaster recovery plan

Have mentioned this maaaany moons ago. Not much traction then. Not much pleasure to say: I told you so

Back