Interesting Items...

"Internet trolls face longer sentences"

BBC news app.

That's harsh on them. They already have trouble stringing five words together.

Well I never! Until just now I had never heard of Spangler.

From now on I'll be Spangling the carpet!

Sent from here using a computing device.

I'm sure we did something like this in Physics at school getting two domes to stick together by sucking the air out. Was that not a proper vacuumed then?

Sent from here using a computing device.

No, it would have been a partial vacuum. A vacuum is the total absence of air and other gaseous stuff.

Hoovers simply use a centrifugal blower, which achieves a high flow rate but has nothing to prevent a back-flow if the pressure difference across the blower becomes enough to oppose the fan.

Laboratory vacuum pumps are proper pumps rather than blowers, they have a system of pistons and valves so that a volume of gas is removed from one side and pushed out at the other. These have a much lower flow rate than a hoover blower, but work down to a much higher pressure difference. They stop working when the valves and pistons can no longer seal adequately or the working volume simply isn't capturing any more gas molecules.

Ultra-high vacuums are created using exotic molecule capturing processes which require a pretty good vacuum in the first place before they start working.

If microsoft.com made vacuum cleaners, it'd be the only they made that didn't suck.

(Well, somebody had to...)

And they would require a license to use and not be supported after 3 years.

I'd go for the apple.com vacuumed cleaner. Sleek with no buttons to press. Accessories to make it useful are a bit expensive though.

No, it would have been a partial vacuum. A vacuum is the total absence of air and other gaseous stuff.
Is not a partial vacuum as much of an oxymoron as a little bit pregnant? A very low pressure area surely?

Damn and blast. Hoisted by my own petard yet again. I suppose it's similar to digging half a hole. And you know what they say about what to do when you're in a hole.

Back