Interesting Items...

Albeit oxymoronic (or just plain moronic?), a partial vacuum is a volume occupied by gas/vapour/plasma at less than a certain undefined pressure. To suggest that the undefined pressure limit is actually 1 atmosphere seems to be pushing it a bit, but nonetheless a vacuum gauge reads the negative pressure difference between the volume and the external environment. Not very good when the vacuum is nearly complete - if the gauge reads -14.5 psi when the average atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi but can vary significantly either way, you don't know whether your vacuum is 0 psi or 1 psi!

Absolute pressure gauges have a reference vacuum, one wonders how good the reference vacuum is!

I'd go for the apple.com vacuumed cleaner. Sleek with no buttons to press. Accessories to make it useful are a bit expensive though.

Mike: Do you have a vacuum cleaner?
Kevin: Yes, an Apple one.
Mike: So what is it called?
Kevin: iSuck.
Mike: You aren't that bad, Kevin, come on!

Anyway, it would push out a load of hot air but have no substance in it.
You would need to return it to Apple to replace the filters or empty it.
It would have a non-standard power plug, an adapter for which would cost you £400.
It would shatter if dropped from a low height.
You would feel compelled to buy the latest model every six months, slightly larger than the last one but otherwise still several years behind the competition.

Lemur mascot on an Apple advert: iAye
Correct form of response to a query from Steve Balmer: iCaptain
Dolly birds on the Apple trade stand: iCandy
Currency used by Apple addicts queuing for the latest iPhone release: iTooth
Favourite lunch-break game at Cupertino: iSpy

I want a QED vacuum cleaner which cleans it up into a QCD vacuum.

DLNA streaming from PC screen: https://alenblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/watch-online-tv-ppstream-pplive-etc-on-tv-via-dlna/

NB: I my view this needs hardware support in the PC's graphics card. A software-only solution would have to either read the video buffer and create a compressed video stream from it in real time, or intercept the operating system video calls (like Remote Desktop does) and build a duplicate frame buffer for mpg encoding. The video card is the obvious place to do this, and modern gaming video cards have the computing power required.

Last edited:
Apologies anyone who can't see this, you might have to be logged in to Twitter:

B1gDXwcCYAA4Icx.jpg

Parked for future reference (heard about it on a Radio 4 programme recently):

We know about 2-part epoxy putty, very handy for moulding or repairing solid parts but it sets rock hard. What if you want something which sets but remains flexible?

http://sugru.com

Custom cable strain relief, anybody? The drawback is that it air-cures, so once a pack is opened you have to use it or lose it (but maybe it would store in a freezer).

Last edited:
Back