Interesting Items...

I have yet to try a range extender that doesn't fail after a few days. Sooner or later, I find myself connected to the extender but the latter is not communicating with my router. I have to power cycle the extender after that. I have quite a few lying around upstairs!

One access point that is brilliant though uses Powerline. It can be set up as an extender, and fails like all the rest, but if you give it its own SSID and channel, well, I have had one filling a WiFi not-spot in my house for a year, in constant use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00DHB2T44/

Also helps with the worn key problem.

You would be surprised how many door locks I've come across where you can work out the digits in the code from the worn keys (though not the order)

Aghh new version of tapatalk seems to randomly post in any thread it likes (or else the user hasn't worked out how to use it).

Apologies for my off topic post earlier.

Re the wifi extender they are reduced to £9.99 in Aldi if you can find any left. I bought one full price and it works but does hang after a while and needs a power cycle.

Did I mention we got locked out of our hotel room recently, one of the card ones. The hotel couldn't get theirs to work either. In the end we watched a porter gain access with nothing more than an Allen key and screwdriver, nothing was damaged or forced, he just took the lock apart. In fact, it was only a matter of removing the handle and poking something through the hole to disconnect the lock. It took him a minute, but he was not in a rush. Be warned!

I forget which way round it was, but I think he used the screwdriver to remove the handle and then inserted the Allen key to undo the locking mechanism. I was horrified at how easy it was. I had always assumed those things were at least as secure as the swipe card, and had never thought of the possibility of a mechanical entry.

ROFL But not hex key operated. On these doors, there was no key hole, just a hex socket behind the handle. You needed a hex key with a long shaft to reach it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just reminded of another hotel "incident."

We were travelling in Utah with our two girls, and had interconnecting rooms with two facing doors between. We had all locked the corridor doors. We had a balcony, they didn't, and we were on the third floor. So, between the two rooms were two doors on springs, each with a handle on the room side, with a narrow space between them.

One Sunday morning, we got up and I am not sure what the girls did, but the outside temperature there is round 90--100 F in the summer, and their air conditioning unit had been on all night. I think they switched from cool to heat or something, but smoke started coming from the air conditioner and set off the fire alarm. Of course, we rushed into their room, and the door our side slammed shut behind us. There was no key hole or handle on their side of our door. So, all four of us were in their room, and we had no way to get back into ours. As the catch was on our corridor door, the hotel had no access from the corridor either.

Nobody had thought of this ever happening, and we were saved only by the fact that we had opened our balcony door. (The other way round, with them rushing into our room, even that would have been impossible.) So, the staff called their Hispanic helper and he had to hoist himself up by standing on the railings of the balcony below and heaving himself up to our balcony, once they had managed to explain to him what the problem was. His English was very sparse.

Gotcha by design?

You too? My new laptop also has an oversensitive DVD tray. It may be getting the black tape treatment which I happen to have to hand as I have just used it to convert my wireless phone charger pad and a watch presentation box into a wireless phone charger stand. Blue Peter is us! :D

What are you talking about? All I want to know is when it's time to change the CD (bulk ripping with EAC)!

PS: anybody know how I can embed that in the post as video?

Maybe I should come clean and mention that I am ex-Leicester and have a friend in the Beagle2 team.

Back