Interesting Items...

99p Stores are advertising unlimited broadband for 99p/week - but their web site sends my PC into paroxysms. When I did get it loaded, it turns out the "99p" is only the teaser rate - after 6 months it goes up to £8.50/month.

But £8.50 isn't even an integer multiple of 99p, nor of £1, to comply with the new owners.

According to an article in the trade mag Electronics Weekly for 18th Feb, UCL have achieved 6.6bits/sec/Hz over optical fibre over a link of 5,890km without repeaters. The article doesn't say how that translates to raw data rate.

bits/sec/Hz looks nonsensical to me - is it analogous to ft/sec/sec, as I don't understand an acceleration of this type at all?

It's not all that difficult. The 6.6 represents the number of bits per second they can transfer over a fibre link 5,890km long per Hz of bandwidth. If the bandwidth is 20GHz (a typical value), the data rate will be 132 gigabits per second. I was just saying I would have liked it spelt out in the article.

It is seriously difficult if you don't understand the meaning of the terms used.
Okay, so that resolves to "bandwidth" being the problem term. I can explain that:

Think of a simple AM radio signal. A carrier frequency (the frequency you tune the receiver to) is "amplitude modulated" (AM) by the transmitted content. This means you take the audio signal you want to transmit, and use it to modulate (ie vary) the amplitude (ie, if you like, the signal strength) of the carrier wave. Alright so far? So, if you looked at the actual radio signal on an oscilloscope (a device which displays a trace of the variations of a signal over a short period of time), you would see the rapid oscillations of the RF increasing and decreasing in overall height in accordance with the audio signal imposed on it.

The mathematics of Fourier, Shannon, Nyquist et al demonstrate that modulating a carrier wave spreads out its frequency spectrum. A pure sine wave has a specific frequency. A modulated sine wave has a frequency spread roughly equivalent to the frequency of the modulation - in this case the audio signal being carried by the radio frequency carrier wave. If you, say, limit the range of frequencies in the audio signal to 0-5kHz, the carrier spectrum spreads 5kHz either side of the carrier frequency and is capable of causing interference to another AM radio signal if its transmission frequency is too close. That's why the radio stations broadcast at carrier frequencies 9kHz apart.

Thus we have the bandwidth occupied by a UK AM radio station: 9kHz (or a bit less actually, but good enough for illustration). But that's for just one station. The whole medium-wave AM radio band goes from about 500kHz to 1600kHz, a bandwidth of 1100kHz.

Light in an optical fibre is just the same, but its frequency is much higher and the range of frequencies that can be transmitted through glass fibre go from roughly 300,000,000,000,000 Hz to 1,000,000,000,000,000 Hz - that's a potential bandwidth of 7x10^14 Hz. However, the bandwidth actually being used depends on the lasers etc that launch the signal into the fibre and the detectors at the other end.

Shannon worked out the theoretical maximum payload (in the case of AM radio: the audio signal; in the case of fibre: the data it carries) that can be squeezed into any particular bandwidth, so the development of digital TV etc is about engineering new modulation schemes which get closer and closer to the Shannon limit - ie use the available bandwidth as efficiently as practically possible. Ordinary AM and FM are pretty inefficient in terms of information content per Hz of bandwidth.

However, that's just showing off, and I suspect post 388 was all the explanation required. The point of the article was that a workable fibre link has been accomplished over a length of fibre sufficient to get from London to New York without any repeaters in between. That means they can lay a single cable across the Atlantic without needing any optical amplifiers along the way - and amplifiers mean parts to go wrong, joints to leak sea water, and a means to power them (not easy, 2000km from a power supply). If you look at an apparently transparent pane of window glass edge on, it looks dark green - that's what it does to light coming in from the opposite edge and travelling through the width (not thickness) of the glass sheet. OK, so the glass used in optical fibre is much, much more transparent than window glass, but imagine the difficulties involved in recovering any photons at all after they have had to travel through nearly 6000km of it.

and I suspect post 388 was all the explanation required
It was, but thanks for the 'full Monty'. I'm still a little perplexed because I don't fully understand how you can get 6.6bps down 1 HZ of B/W.
That nice Mr Nyquist said the carrier frequency must be at least twice the highest modulating frequency. And as on/off signal can be considered as a square wave, which taken to the extreme has an infinite number of odd harmonics which implies (to me) that you need an infinite B/W. So how does it work?

That's a bit beyond my knowledge, but data doesn't have a 1:1 relationship with analogue signal modulation - that's why so many more digital TV services can be fitted into a UHF broadcast channel than with analogue, and it's not just the video data compression into H.264 (or whatever) that provides the savings.

An example of data being modulated onto a carrier is Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (google it for full details and demo graphics); for example QAM-16 uses four discrete amplitudes and four discrete phase shifts of the carrier wave to encode one of 16 symbols (ie the equivalent of 4 binary bits) per unit of time (however long is allocated per symbol). QAM-64 does the same using eight amplitudes and eight phases to encode 6 bits per symbol.

Ah. I see what you mean. But surely the phase shifting itself (and the AM) introduces extra B/W? But presumably a lot less than a straight AM or FM modulated carrier. Seems like I am going to Google stuff to find out.

There's some good (if heavy reading) stuff Here

Last edited:
But presumably a lot less than a straight AM or FM modulated carrier.
Yes. Broadly speaking, the symbol rate creates the bandwidth spread, and the technology stuffs as many bits as possible into the symbol encoding. The engineering limit is whether the symbols can still be identified at the receiving end, once the noise of the transmission path is taken into account - the more bits you try to stuff into a symbol, the more difficult it is to extract them cleanly at the receiver (and the more likely they are to be swamped by noise).

Think of it like this: modulating a 1kHz carrier with a 1Hz sine wave (theoretically) creates side bands at 999Hz and 1001Hz - but how many bits of binary data per second would be required to specify the 1Hz sine wave, if it were a digital signal? It's an artificial example, but the answer I am looking for is "lots". All you need to do to carry one data bit per second on a carrier wave is affect the carrier by the smallest possible amount that can still be detected as a difference at the receiving end, when averaged over each bit time (ie, in this case, each second).

(This is good. Explaining it to someone else makes me better understand the things I know - like doing a jigsaw.)

Last edited:
(This is good. Explaining it to someone else makes me better understand the things I know - like doing a jigsaw.)
Looks like I need to do some revision. I may have known some of this many years ago. Now it's looking like gibberish (which clearly your explanation isn't). I seem to have forgotten more than I knew!

That nice Mr Nyquist said the carrier frequency must be at least twice the highest modulating frequency. And as on/off signal can be considered as a square wave, which taken to the extreme has an infinite number of odd harmonics which implies (to me) that you need an infinite B/W. So how does it work?
This is not true. The Nyquist rate is about sampling theory: what is the minimum rate at which a continuous signal can be sampled and then reconstruct a true reproduction of the original signal. If you take a 50Hz sine wave and sample it once per millisecond, plotting the sample values on a graph and joining the dots will produce an obvious 50Hz sine-wave "solution" to what those samples represented. Sampling a 400Hz sine wave at 1ms intervals will produce a graph which appears much more erratic, but a 400Hz sine wave will still come out of it.

A 1100Hz sine wave, sampled at 1ms intervals, will look like 100Hz - and a 100Hz sine wave is a solution to those samples - but if you know that the input is in the frequency band 1000-1500Hz, a solution can be found in that band at 1100Hz - so it is not absolutely necessary to sample at at least 2f, what is necessary is to sample at 2x the expected input bandwidth.

Modulating a carrier with a perfect square wave would indeed create harmonics which extend (at rapidly decreasing power) to infinity, but in any practical situation the bandwidth of the modulation signal (the square wave) is limited before it gets to the modulator, and is limited by the modulator itself, so in detail your "square" wave actually has rounded edges and finite slopes so the modulated signal has a finite bandwidth. For analogue broadcasting, the broadcasters are expected to limit the bandwidth of the modulation signal to limit the spread of their carrier spectrum.

Last edited:
Back