Interesting Items...

Wow. Nice to know it nearly worked. Maybe that will spur some more 'budget' efforts.

What is scary is that I thought it disappeared about 5 years ago, but apparently it was 11 :eek:

Curious. Is there info, eg what is the conversion from the HH:MM:SS figures to RGB - or is it simply each digit concatenated and taken as if a hex RGB value?

Even that formula doesn't explore much of the colour map. 10*HH,4*MM,4*SS should be much more psychedelic.

255/24*HH, 255/60*MM, 255/60*SS should cover the gamut completely, I think.
Well, if my previous closer approximation isn't good enough, yours is a miscalculation (even allowing for the absence of brackets):

Red = (255/23)*HH, Green = (255/59)*MM, Blue = (255/59)*SS

It would be far more interesting, I think, to toggle pseudo-random bits in the 24-bit RGB colour value somehow selecting the bit according to the time.

Last edited:
Well, if my previous closer approximation isn't good enough, yours is a miscalculation (even allowing for the absence of brackets):
I did wonder about 23,24 and 59,60, so I'll take your word for that.
The brackets aren't necessary - multiplication and division have the same precedence, so absent any other operators the calculations should be performed in the order written.

It would be far more interesting, I think, to toggle pseudo-random bits in the 24-bit RGB colour value somehow selecting the bit according to the time.
Er. Wot?
Surely applying a colour to the time should be predictable and repeatable. Or does the pseudo mean you would you apply the same colour at the same time each day, just random within the day?
(Probably need an epilepsy warning before entering the page though :eek: )

The brackets aren't necessary - multiplication and division have the same precedence, so absent any other operators the calculations should be performed in the order written.
Not if you're reading it rather than processing it!

Eaglemoss (stalwart publishers of "part work" magazines) have started a series which assembles a 3D printer over 90 weeks (part 1 is only £1.99, but you can bet your house that subsequent issues will be a lot more expensive than that). The printer can be ordered assembled for April delivery @ £699 (normal price, they say, is £799).

Basic spec is approx 5½" cube max print dimensions, at 0.2mm resolution. STL file input.

The tutorials in the mag will probably be quite useful for the newcomer to 3D printing (like me) but probably nothing you can't get on the Web. What puts me off is the 21 month gestation period.

http://www.3dprinter-collection.com/

BBC Radio 4's Science in Action* today (16.30):

Apparently, atomic clocks using atoms cooled to a billionth of a Kelvin (!) are keeping time so accurately that the difference in tick rate due to gravitational time dilation (General Relativity) can be detected if the clock is altered in altitude by 1 inch.

:frantic:

Catch it on iPlayer (but not using the Humax TV Portal, obviously)

* Sorry, Inside Science - Science in Action is on the World Service.

Last edited:
Open a Telnet session to towel.blinkenlights.nl

Hah - connecting over IPv4 says that the IPv6 version has extra scenes etc... however, connecting over IPv6 says:

Well, the IPv6 version is exactly the same as the IPv4 one.

The difference is in the visitors...

Je bent een Stoere Bikkel, aka You Rock.

BBC Radio 4's Science in Action today (16.30):

Catch it on iPlayer (but not using the Humax TV Portal, obviously)
I listen to the podcast captured on my phone. Along with Dr Karl and the Naked Scientist podcasts from Radio 5 and The Infinite Monkey Cage which has just started a new series from Radio 4 on Mondays (make sure you wait to get the extended 45 minute version rather than the broadcast 30 minute version).

I presume Windows 10 running on RPi is not going to support x86 desktop apps - more likely mobile/tablet stuff especially compiled for ARM?

Back