Accessing MEDIA on the box itself?

JDK

Is there any way to access the MEDIA button on the box itself? The remote control seems to have stopped working for anything except turning the box on, it won’t even turn it off. I have a second older remote and it’s the same thing. Perhaps time to invest in a new Freesat box?

Is there any way to access the MEDIA button on the box itself? The remote control seems to have stopped working for anything except turning the box on, it won’t even turn it off. I have a second older remote and it’s the same thing. Perhaps time to invest in a new Freesat box?
One of the previous reports of this happening with the FOXSAT is that if the box was turned totally off, and then back on, it would be OK for a while. Have you tried that?

Also sometimes the power button can work across the different remote modes. It could be that the box has somehow got set to a different remote mode.
If you go through the process of changing the remote mode what happens?
Using more than 1 Humax box in the same room

From the Hummy.org.uk site, that is now suspended: Originally posted by Barry

Multi Code function HDR remote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revealed exclusively to Hummy.org members.
If you are using more than one receiver in the same location you can change the remote control frequency so that the remote control commands do not conflict.

This is relevant to the following Satellite Products,
Foxsat HD, HDR, HDCI 5000, HDR-1000/1010/1100S, HB-1000S

Also relevant to the following Terrestrial Products,
HD/HDR-FOX T2, HDR-1800/2000T, FVP-4000T, FVP-5000T

1. Switch on your TV set and the Humax product that you wish to change the remote code.
2. Make sure that the other Humax product that you do not wish to control is in Standby or powered OFF at the mains.
3. Point the remote control towards the remote control sensor of the target receiver.
4. Press and hold the 0 and OK buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the PVR button on the remote stays red.
5. A message will appear on the TV screen:

"You can change the remote control mode.
Press a Numeric Key (<1> ~ <6>) to select the mode
Current mode: Mode 1."

6. Press a NUMERIC button (from 1 to 6) to select a different mode.
7. A message confirming the change of Mode will appear on screen.

A video courtesy of BlackHole can be found here

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-more-than-1-humax-box-in-the-same-room.23/page-3#post-82499
Also you have posted in the forum for the FOXSAT model, but previously you mentioned having the HDR-1100S. Is it the FOXSAT or the HDR-HDR-1100S that the remote usage is playing up?

If it is the FOXSAT then do you have the C/F installed?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it didn’t work. The button showed red, but there was no message on the TV and only the standby button switches on the receiver. It won’t even switch it off again.
I will try taking it to a repair cafe, perhaps the IR receiver in the box can be exchanged, if not it will be sent for recycling and we will need to get a new one.

This sounds very strange. Why a PVR would react to the standby button to switch on but not off again seems to imply a fault in the PVR. It can't be the IR receiver, which should receive the standby code the same, whether that be to turn on or turn off.

It might be that the processor is simply too busy to react to user commands. A reason for that could be corrupt file system or faulty HDD.

Yep. Most strange. Open er up and disconnect the HDD cables --- does the remote and box then behave ?

The Foxsat-HDR has a text display that shows "BOOT" in a white/blue lettering when switched on from standby... and other stuff in addition to a red light. OP has no mentions of that displaying, so confusion reigns.

Is it a 1000S or 1100S - neither having the fluorescent text display?

Pictures of the unit from the OP would help, methinks.

One of the previous reports of this happening with the FOXSAT is that if the box was turned totally off, and then back on, it would be OK for a while. Have you tried that?

Also sometimes the power button can work across the different remote modes. It could be that the box has somehow got set to a different remote mode.
If you go through the process of changing the remote mode what happens?

Also you have posted in the forum for the FOXSAT model, but previously you mentioned having the HDR-1100S. Is it the FOXSAT or the HDR-HDR-1100S that the remote usage is playing up?

If it is the FOXSAT then do you have the C/F installed?

We have a number of recordings which are impossible to access now that the box doesn’t respond to any commands from the remote control. I tried an older remote too and found the same lack of response. Hence my original question. The box itself has no buttons which allow the selection of MEDIA to view the recordings. I may try some of the suggestions (thanks), but I’m not especially hopeful.
We don’t have any special firmware installed.

We have a number of recordings which are impossible to access now that the box doesn’t respond to any commands from the remote control. I tried an older remote too and found the same lack of response. Hence my original question. The box itself has no buttons which allow the selection of MEDIA to view the recordings. I may try some of the suggestions (thanks), but I’m not especially hopeful.
We don’t have any special firmware installed.
Have you tried new batteries in both remotes?

Update 04/05/24. It’s working again.
After a 3-4 day pause, I tried the OK and 0 buttons, then pressed 1, the PVR button flashed and the remote and box now work again. We found an extremely long recording (which seemed to have a start signal, but not a stop one). This was recording when the stuck box trouble started. It used up loads of HDD space, on deletion the space used went from 56% to 32%. Somehow this was responsible for our problems.
We intend to buy a new Freesat box in the UK soon, one with all the on demand stuff which is available. It’s only a matter of time until the current one gives up the ghost for good, and is sent to the recycling centre in the sky….

We intend to buy a new Freesat box in the UK soon, one with all the on demand stuff which is available. It’s only a matter of time until the current one gives up the ghost for good, and is sent to the recycling centre in the sky….
Why? You'll find most of them will be 'IP blocked' in Switzerland without a very, very good VPN service and they are anyways typically better supported via devices like FireTV sticks. The Foxsat-HDR once upon a time did some On Demand stuff but has been dropped by the broadcasters from support.

Only current freesat pvr is this one https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box and is not without its own issues. So do read up on it. Alternatives would include Enigma style free to air satellite boxes and user/community supported software.

We do have a very good VPN and a second router with the UK IP loaded permanently which will be used to access the on demand stuff. The current VPN app works for BBC iPlayer on iPads and iPhones extremely well (it’s the 3rd one we have used as the others stopped working eventually, but so far so good). We want to record stuff to watch later and ITVX can’t be watched except via the desktop computer currently.

If you get the 4k Freesat box consider upgrading the LNB to a wideband one. The box can do 4 simultaneous recordings with that which might save a bit of need for catch-up services.

We have a 120cm prime focus dish with a quattro LNB and multi switch currently. Do wideband LNB’s exist for prime focus dishes?

Back