Assume v. Presume

I am no expert in the pulp industry, but isn't Facebook Paper for iOS a contradiction in terms, a skeuomorph or just plain inaccurate?

Why do people say Least Common Denominator in a non-mathematical context, when they mean Highest Common Factor?

They mean the qualities all the people have in common, not every quality at least one person has.

Journalists. You should see some of the howlers on the News channel. They can go on for ages on a loop without anyone noticing.
I saw "enviroment" the other day.

Journalists.

Journalers, surely?:p

-er and -ist are so inconsistent:

bankist
writist
psychologer
astrophysicer
killist
physicer
chemer
biologer
mathematician?????
magician?????
physician???

-ian, -er and -ist are so inconsistent.

I contest that. English contains elements of Greek and Latin, and many other languages, hence the confusing differences between hypo- and hyper- for example. If you want consistency, use Latin or Esperanto.

I contest that. English contains elements of Greek and Latin, and many other languages, hence the confusing differences between hypo- and hyper- for example. If you want consistency, use Latin or Esperanto.
Neither of those is consistent. Plus, how do you get from inconsistencies to that being the point of English? A non sequitur.

I think you've chosen the wrong synonym of "point". English is a crazy mixed-up language and that's all there is to it.

when_you_assume.png

(From http://xkcd.org/)

Back