Assume v. Presume

I can't help thinking that "URI" and "URN" have been introduced more recently than "URL", I had not heard of them until I looked up URI.

Uri Geller, as in the guy who still maintains he can cause metal fatigue with his mind and no surreptitious mechanical stress is involved at all honest? No, never heard of him/her/it.

I didn't hear about URLs until after having been introduced to URIs - URNs came slightly after URIs for me

I started using URI rather than URL when I found out there was a difference. I believe URL preceded URI, didn't it? However, the distinction is hardly necessary, and I no longer refer to URIs because, generally, you get a blank stare if you do. Only Black Hole and a few other pedants would want to distinguish between the two! :D

False Latin grammar! The singular is modus operandi and plural is modi operandi. :disagree:
:oops:

You're right, and I should have known that (well, I did know that but just forgot). Not only does that score a high P quotient, but an even higher P quotient for being wrong.

Reprising the synonyms debate, somebody on the radio this morning was using "get" instead of "understand". "Only people who have had a stroke get people with strokes". Yuk.

The problem here is that the meaning is not immediately obvious unless one habitually uses "get" in the same way. This is what I would classify as a synonymous meaning only through a word from a clichéd phrase being extracted out of context. I think we would all understand the phrase "I get it", which I imagine derives from hippy-speak.

However, can I suggest that this usage of "get" is not in fact synonymous with "understand", but is better defined as "completely understand"?

Back