Assume v. Presume

I do not accept your second definition. In my book, superlative describes a structure of language (what are those called?), so "best" or "superb" are superlatives, but the object cannot be superlative.

As we know (in the University of AVP), the sources on language track common usage, not whether common usage satisfies the pedantic.

Perfectly legitimate adjective to use in the context that you have illustrated I think.

su·per·la·tive

[suh-pur-luh-tiv, soo-] Show IPA
adjective
of the highest kind, quality, or order; surpassing all else or others; supreme; extreme: superlative wisdom.
Grammar . of, pertaining to, or noting the highest degree of the comparison of adjectives and adverbs, as smallest, best, and most carefully, the superlative forms of small, good, and carefully. Compare comparative ( def 4 ) , positive ( def 20 ) .
being more than is proper or normal; exaggerated in language or style.
noun
a superlative person or thing.
the utmost degree; acme.
Grammar .
a.
the superlative degree.
b.
a form in the superlative.

No, personally, I wouldn't, but would not pour scorn on those who did, in case I am branded as a pedant.;)

Winterwatch: apparently a photo of a golden eagle was "superlative".

No problem there for me. I think you are superlatively wrong on this one.

superlative
suːˈpəːlətɪv,sjuː-/
adjective

1. 1.
    of the highest quality or degree.
    "a superlative piece of skill"
    synonyms: excellent, magnificent, wonderful, glorious, marvellous, brilliant,supreme, consummate, outstanding, prodigious, dazzling,remarkable, formidable, fine, choice, sterling, first-rate, first-class,of the first water, of the first order, of the highest order, premier,prime, unsurpassed, unequalled, unparalleled, unrivalled,unbeatable, peerless, matchless, singular, unique, transcendent,best, greatest, worthiest, pre-eminent, perfect, faultless, flawless;More
  2. 2.
    GRAMMAR
    (of an adjective or adverb) expressing the highest or a very high degree of a quality (e.g. bravest, most fiercely ).

I already said that twice Mike. But he won't believe me.

I know, I was just supporting what you said.

Superlative isn't a word I would normally use anyway, but I find myself saying fantastic more and more in conversation, when trying to be positive. Oh dear! BH will not approve!

Been out. Had a superlative day. Sigh.

Despite the various dictionary definitions that report the common use of superlative as meaning "the best example of its type", I still see it as an error that has become incorporated into language through repetition. Somebody says it because it sounds good, then it gets picked up and repeated. The problem I have with it is that it's not necessary, there are other perfectly good words for that usage - like "best".

On the other hand, there are no other words I can think of that perform the function of superlative when describing grammar.

Free with today's Sunday Torygraph: Philips Planisphere - complete with howler "The figures in the tables refer to the scale of degrees round the outer edge of the planisphere".

Random thought for Sunday:

How do you spell (for example) "H"? All the Greek letters have English spellings (alpha, beta, gamma, delta etc), but we never seem to spell out the English alphabet. I think the difference is that we have English names for the Greek letters, it might be rather different trying to spell the Greek letter sounds in Greek.

Do foreign languages (particularly those that do not use the Latin alphabet) have names for English letters? Why do we not have names for our letters separate from the sounds?

Back